Options

Passed Today Doing Something Different.

LantzvillianLantzvillian Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I thought I should share this since, everyone always pushes the same material to pass for this exam. I have been using Linux actively and on a daily basis for almost 3 years now and for work. Figured I'd go take this exam.

Some here say read more than one book, I agree and I read two books plus various web resources. Including this one here, however, I found that its writing didn't match my learn/reading style very well.

The one book is outdated now, it was very detailed and I read it throughly and left post its' on the pages I felt were worthy of remembering after I finished the book. Each chapter I would read once, maybe take a second to comprehend something I might not know, and if I didn't I'd read till the end of the chapter and re-read. There were labs, but I didn't bother to do them since I have done them all at some point, but I recommend doing Linux projects. Goto howto forge if you need ideas.

Do the practice tests, I used the Measure up ones that came with the one book, and the Learnkey ones that came with the other. I saw more than a few that were if not identical if close to the test questions.

Don't wear yourself out studying, if you do that you might get nervous or too anxious. Last evening I went wakeboarding to get my mind of studying, then iread a couple note pages before I went to bed. This morning drove 2 hours to take the test. Got there early and read those post it notes or any quick reminders I had for myself.

Ultimately, take it easy. I am a good test taker, but some might not be yet. Just don't focus on everything and drill it to the nines, just remember what you need to. Its the difference between beign clever and being smart. The clever people get things done.

Books I used:

Linux + Guide to Linux + Certification 2nd Ed By Jason W. Eckert M. John Schitka Published by Tomson Course Technology.

Mike Myers Certification Passport for Linux+. Writen By Michael Jang. ( Not the best written book, and slightly irritating, however, it does cover a verbose aspect)

I do have RHCE 5th ed. by Michael Jang, however, I didn't use it to study, but I have used it off and on for the odd thing as a reference.

Comments

• Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Congrats on the pass. I didn't use any of the books you mentioned. What do you do for work that you have been working with Linux for 3 years?
  • Options
    LantzvillianLantzvillian Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been doing private Linux/Windows work 2 years previous. I did websites, webservers, servers of all sorts etc.

Currently I am the IT guy for a company that does industrial/scada firewalls. Big big stuff they do. We mostly use SuSE, much to my dismay, but thats just my opinion.

I use RHEL and Cent on my laptop alot. I also have a wack of experience with virtualization.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job and thanks for the nice post. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.