Options

Switches

Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can I learn enough to pass CCENT/CCNA and be able to work with Cisco equipment with two 2501 routers or will I need another router?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You'll want at a minimum a couple 2950 switches or better as well. Maybe a frame relay switch as well but thats not as important as the switches.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Blang008 wrote:
    Can I learn enough to pass CCENT/CCNA and be able to work with Cisco equipment with two 2501 routers or will I need another router?

check the FAQ: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7268

i have 3 x 2600 and 3 x 2950
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are the 2501 good enough for CCNA? I have read the FAQ but its a little confusing because everybody has different labs and i'm not sure what will be best for me.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The "best" for you would be 2800s and 3750s, but that will be pricey.

I'd go with some 2600s and 2950s if you can afford it. If not go with some 2500s or 1700s and 2950s.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I would try and download Packet Tracer. I don't know if you h onestly need a frame relay switch to pass the CCNA. I would try and get 2 2950 switches and 2 routers. Preferably 2600 models so with a fastethernet port so that you can practice trunking.
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Packet tracer gives you enough information regarding switches, so you can see STP in operation, and play around with some port security.

If your budget allows for it, some 2950's might come in handy if you want to go beyond that. I dont think its a cast-in-iron requirement that you get your hands on some switches, but its always nice :)
    Studying for CCNP (All done)