Options

Study for more then one Cert @ a time?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Well becuase of comptias retake policy i have to wait a month until my next exam retake(sadly i was hoping never to be in this position,but due to bad net+ teaching 95% of my class is in my boat), but anyway should i study for another like A+? or just study for net+?
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    personally I think you should stick with your net+ study and really nail down the objectives until you take it again
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Well becuase of comptias retake policy i have to wait a month until my next exam retake(sadly i was hoping never to be in this position,but due to bad net+ teaching 95% of my class is in my boat), but anyway should i study for another like A+? or just study for net+?
    I would venture to say, it may be more of bad test writing by Comptiaa.

I took the A+/N+ tests late last year, and they were retarded. I knew the material cold...several sources worth, and when I sad down for all 3 tests...all the questions were either rediculously easy, or some wild crap from left field. The new tests are aweful. It might not just be your teacher.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    30 day wait? That would mean that you have failed the exam twice. Why would you move on to another exam when you can't master this one. You can complain about the exam all you want but too many people have gone before you. Stop blaming others for your lack of preparation. It ain't rocket science. icon_rolleyes.gif

Certification exams are only partly about the material outlined in the objectives. Good study habits and dedication to your goals will serve you well. You are just starting on the road to certification. Knowing how to study and keeping focused will not only aid your quest for certification but will help you if you plan to continue your education.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416

Certification exams are only partly about the material outlined in the objectives. Good study habits and dedication to your goals will serve you well. You are just starting on the road to certification. Knowing how to study and keeping focused will not only aid your quest for certification but will help you if you plan to continue your education.

+1 for supertechCETma

Words like this motivates me. :) [/quote]
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I do, but that's because I like to mix up my studies. I usually have one topic that is my main focus and another that I shift to when I start losing interest with what I'm currently doing.

Your circumstances seem to be completely different though. I'd go with what others have suggested and really focus on your current exam. There's no way you'd want to miss that pass mark again.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    dynamik wrote:
    I do, but that's because I like to mix up my studies. I usually have one topic that is my main focus and another that I shift to when I start losing interest with what I'm currently doing.

Your circumstances seem to be completely different though. I'd go with what others have suggested and really focus on your current exam. There's no way you'd want to miss that pass mark again.

Same here. For me it helps me keep some focus. If I'm studying something completely different it allows what I know to soak in in the back of my head. But I also agree with dynamik that you would be best served by focusing solely on this exam. If I failed an exam once that exam would be getting 100% of my focus.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    30 day wait? That would mean that you have failed the exam twice. Why would you move on to another exam when you can't master this one. You can complain about the exam all you want but too many people have gone before you. Stop blaming others for your lack of preparation. It ain't rocket science. icon_rolleyes.gif

If he failed the exam twice that means he forked out A LOT of cash for this exam.

pLuhhmm, if you plan on taking the Net+ again you better take the 30 days to study as much as you can. Otherwise I would look into doing the A+ but make sure you check the objectives from CompTIA's website because the A+ costs more so you don't want to have to retake it. Good thing CompTIA's exams are good for life.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I personally hate studying multiple different things at a time. I say this because I am studying for my JNCIP and reading an MSCSE book for school. How I would love to just dedicate all my efforts to one thing and then move on to the next, oh well such is life icon_confused.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146

well. in my situation, the teachers way of teaching was to show a powerpoint at 7am in the morning about the invigorating topic of net+, this would lead to 70% of the class falling asleep, all in all i wish we had more hands on, the two test only cost the same as one test did. Hopefully i can slay this exam in july.

Also does anyone know of a comptia English course?
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    http://www.certiguide.com/netplus/index.htm

This is a very good resource for study. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I think you going to find yourself being disappointed more often then not if you solely rely on what material your teacher is going over. You need to grab the bull by the horns and put in some extra study time for these tests. Go over the objectives, read the technotes here, get a book that is specific for the exam your studying for (MS Press book, Sybex), and a few computers for a lab if you can.

I have an AAS in computer networking and I still have to put in significant study time for each specific exam. My teachers, and I think most others as well, only scratched the surface.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)