Venturing into the world of CCNP

xomrmattoxxomrmattox Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,
As of today, I have begun preparing for the 1st of 4 exams, BSCI
I have 3 books so far:
CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification, 4th edition
CCNP Building Scalable Internetworks Lab portfolio
CCNP Authorized Self-Study guide

I have started reading the self-study guide and will be using it in conjuction with the Lab porfolio. Then i will go over the official exam cert guide press. Any recommendations or ammendments in regads to my direction?

So far my lab consists of:
(1) 20u Skeletek Rack
(2) 3640
(2) 2950
Here are some pictures:
IMG_1207Large.jpg
IMG_1205Large.jpg
I paid for around 80 bucks for each 2950 (shipping included) and received both the 3640's from work :D
Thinking of getting some more equipment, wondering if this will suffice for the BSCI for now?

Just wanted to get some feedback. Let me know what you guys think so far. Thanks![/img]
A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA Certified
Current Job: Systems/Network Administrator
Current Goals: CCNP (BSCI)

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that's a nice start. I'm envious of the prices you paid!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got my 7206 for free, similar to your 3640's. Paid about $90 for each of my 3640's though. That's a damn good price for the switches.

For the BSCI you may want to pick up a couple of cheap cheap cheap 2600's or a couple of SOHO 1700's or just interface your lab with dynamips.

Or you may want to forgo buying more routers and pick up a layer 3 switch for the BCMSN.

Sounds like you're off to a good start though. Be sure to post if you have any questions, we're all friendly here :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    xomrmattoxxomrmattox Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies guys. I'll see if i can purchase some of your recommendations. Thanks! :) I will definitely participate more amongst the forum from now on :)
    A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA Certified
    Current Job: Systems/Network Administrator
    Current Goals: CCNP (BSCI)
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    nice deal!

I just bought an older rack similar to yours (20U but old) for $75

I also just bought a 2950-48 port and a 2960-48 port. both with lots of flash/RAM for $170 (have a friend who was cleaning out their closet)

For my routers I think I am just going to build a nice dynagen server as it will cost less in the long run.. and later I will probably pick up a 3550 or a 3560.

I'll take pics when i have everything
    CCIE - COMPLETED!