Global Address book propagation

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone clued up on how long it takes an account to 'disappear' from the Global address book after deleting all objects through ADUC (even the AD account itself).

The users name no longer appears in the address book but this is 48hrs later, would be nice to know.

Thanks,
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Assuming Exchange 2003 here...

Check out your Recipient Update Service in System Manager and see how it is configured. The propagation will occur after the next update, plus the time required for AD replication to your global catalog servers.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    RUS wouldn't be applicable here, as it stamps objects with attributes, but doesn't remove them.

AD replication is related, but it depends on how long it takes to get replicated to GC's the Exchange server uses. It doesn't need to replicate to all GC's.
    Good luck to all!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It may be an OAB issue if the clients are in cached mode. If it's Exchange 2007, it may take a bit longer. With both Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007, the OAB updates every 24 hours. Outlook updates every 24 hours. With Exchange 2007, in addition to that 48 hour period, you now have the file distribution service which copies the OAB files to the CAS which happens every so often.

You can do the following in Exchange 2007 to speed it up:
    Get-OfflineAddressBook | Update-OfflineAddressBook
    Update-FileDistributionService -Identity YourCASHere

You can then go into Outlook, and click the down arrow next to Send Receive and choose to download address book.

For Exchange 2003, all you have to do is go into System Manager, right click the OAB and update. Then go into Outlook and update Address Book.

As HP said, you'll have to wait for replication. You can force AD replication easily by just typing:
    repadmin /syncall (need support tools) or going into AD Sites and Services and doing it there.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cheers fellas, great responses as usual.

The exchange server actually is on the main OM and the GC server but now knowing the above, this is great!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    RUS wouldn't be applicable here, as it stamps objects with attributes, but doesn't remove them.

AD replication is related, but it depends on how long it takes to get replicated to GC's the Exchange server uses. It doesn't need to replicate to all GC's.
    Yes, that's correct. Sorry about that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...