Options

Windows System Administrator - Job Description

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was told by an employer that my resume did not outlined/highlight my technical skills with Windows Server 2003, and does not deliver that I am proficient with AD and a lot of Windows Server 2003 core functions.

I am sure some of you guys has been in the Administration role for a long time and I am basically just starting, I wanted to find out your feedback on my job description and if necessary your suggestions on what I need to add/remove/update, to make my exposure greater.

 Used Remedy 6.0 (Action Request System) to track, resolve and escalate trouble tickets.
 Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil.
 Manage access to resources, design Group Scope and OU.
 Manage the user, computer environment by using Group Policy.
 Configure routing and remote access service.
 Manage and monitor DHCP, Allocate IP addressing by using DHCP, Design DHCP scope.
 Resolve host names by using DNS.
 Resolve network basic input / output system (Net BIOS) names by using WINS.
 Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates.
 Manage and monitor network access.
 WMI and VB script coding.
 Administered and Configured MSSQ, SQL and IIS 6.0.
 Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, different protocols and OSI Model
 Lead and Implemented a Windows Deployment Service (WDS) Project, which automates PC imaging and resolved SID System Log issue on multiple Domain controllers.
 Administered CA Unicenter Desktop and Server Management (DSM – Software Delivery Solution)
 Administered Patchlink/Windows Software Update Services (WSUS – OS Update Delivery Solution)
 Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface)

Thanks for the feedback you guys are the best :)

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much of this have you done in a production environment?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So did you have this list on your resume when he told you that, or is this list what you came up with after being told that?

If it's the latter, what did you originally have listed?
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:

I've been a helpdesk/desktop support/it support for 3 1/2 years, and for the last 2 1/2 years a jr. sys admin includinh regular stuff a regular sys admin do, I take care of level 3 front end issue.

5 Years - Used Remedy 6.0 (Action Request System) to track, resolve and escalate trouble tickets.
    2 - 3 Years - Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil.
    2 - 3 Years - Manage access to resources, design Group Scope and OU.
    1 1/2 Years - Manage the user, computer environment by using Group Policy.
    1 Years - Configure routing and remote access service.
    3 Years - Manage and monitor DHCP, Allocate IP addressing by using DHCP, Design DHCP scope.
    3 - Years - Resolve host names by using DNS.
    4 Years - Resolve network basic input / output system (Net BIOS) names by using WINS.
    1 Years - Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates.
    1 Years - Manage and monitor network access.
    5 Years - WMI and VB script coding.
    1 Years - Administered and Configured MSSQ, SQL and IIS 6.0.
    Ummm? Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, different protocols and OSI Model
    ??? Lead and Implemented a Windows Deployment Service (WDS) Project, which automates PC imaging and resolved SID System Log issue on multiple Domain controllers.
    1 Years - Administered CA Unicenter Desktop and Server Management (DSM – Software Delivery Solution)
    1 Years - Administered Patchlink/Windows Software Update Services (WSUS – OS Update Delivery Solution)
    8 Months - Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    So did you have this list on your resume when he told you that, or is this list what you came up with after being told that?

If it's the latter, what did you originally have listed?

I already have this list, when I was told this, and I do agree with them, I was advised to redo my resume to be re considered, they also mentioned that this type of job description doesn't really give them a lot of informations. Somewhere b/w the line I was advised to be a little descriptive with how I worked with this stuff...
  • Options
    "2 - 3 Years - Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil. "

Your day to day management of AD accounts was using ADSIEdit and NTDSUtil?!?!?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    "2 - 3 Years - Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil. "

Your day to day management of AD accounts was using ADSIEdit and NTDSUtil?!?!?

More like managing AD Objects/Accounts etc., not ADSIEdit or NTDSUtil I use this on special circumstances, such as a disaster etc.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You need to think quantitative and qualitative. Sure you administered AD but for how many people? Did you do it well? If so what did you do that increased production? Did you write scripts to automate creation of users? They want substance.
    For instance
    5 Years - Used Remedy 6.0 (Action Request System) to track, resolve and escalate trouble tickets.
    (How many tickets did you resolve on a day to day basis?)

3 Years - Manage and monitor DHCP, Allocate IP addressing by using DHCP, Design DHCP scope.
    (Managed DHCP how? Design it for who and for what reasons?)

Stuff like this makes me think that you are trying to be more technical than you need to be or you really don't know what you are talking about and you are pulling stuff from websites:

1 Years - Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates (VPN? SSL?)
    4 Years - Resolve network basic input / output system (Net BIOS) names by using WINS (Sounds like something out of a technical doc)
    Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface) (Why not say you are proficient with Cisco Switching technologies or that you can administer and set up cisco switches)
    WMI and VB script coding (What did you do with the script)
    [/b]
  • Options
    You need to think quantitative and qualitative. Sure you administered AD but for how many people? Did you do it well? If so what did you do that increased production? Did you write scripts to automate creation of users? They want substance.
    For instance
    (How many tickets did you resolve on a day to day basis?)

(Managed DHCP how? Design it for who and for what reasons?)

Stuff like this makes me think that you are trying to be more technical than you need to be or you really don't know what you are talking about and you are pulling stuff from websites:

1 Years - Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates (VPN? SSL?)
    4 Years - Resolve network basic input / output system (Net BIOS) names by using WINS (Sounds like something out of a technical doc)
    Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface) (Why not say you are proficient with Cisco Switching technologies or that you can administer and set up cisco switches)
    WMI and VB script coding (What did you do with the script)
    [/b]

Automate things via VB scripts configure local admin accounts etc., you are correct about WINS :), what else is there to discuss with WINS we only had 1 old skul application that requires WINS from my last job, so I thought I included it, and most that I apps we use like "RUSH" uses DNS falls back to netbios...

Cisco I wouldn't want to put I am proficient cause I'm not, I just had a chance to configure a little bit of this...

I guess this are the stuff I need to correct, this is the longest Jr. Sys Ad experience I had, and I want to make sure that I redo this part.
  • Options
    It does seem to me that you are trying to over word this. Most resumes I've seen look something like this for the description of the previous job:

Managed x Windows users and y computers in z locations
    Responsible for operation of x servers in y locations
    Managed Windows DHCP, DNS, WINS
    Managed Windows Network Policies and Security
    Responsible for managing and monitoring remote access

Etc, Etc.

With another section on the software that you use regularly.

What you have, to me, looks like you're trying to stretch out into as many words as possible that you have basic Windows SysAdmin skills.
    jbaello wrote:
    blargoe wrote:

I've been a helpdesk/desktop support/it support for 3 1/2 years, and for the last 2 1/2 years a jr. sys admin includinh regular stuff a regular sys admin do, I take care of level 3 front end issue.

2 - 3 Years - Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil.
    2 - 3 Years - Manage access to resources, design Group Scope and OU.
    1 1/2 Years - Manage the user, computer environment by using Group Policy.
    1 Years - Configure routing and remote access service.
    3 - Years - Resolve host names by using DNS.
    4 Years - Resolve network basic input / output system (Net BIOS) names by using WINS.
    1 Years - Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates.
    1 Years - Manage and monitor network access.
    5 Years - WMI and VB script coding.
    1 Years - Administered and Configured MSSQ, SQL and IIS 6.0.
    Ummm? Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, different protocols and OSI Model
    ??? Lead and Implemented a Windows Deployment Service (WDS) Project, which automates PC imaging and resolved SID System Log issue on multiple Domain controllers.
    1 Years - Administered CA Unicenter Desktop and Server Management (DSM – Software Delivery Solution)
    1 Years - Administered Patchlink/Windows Software Update Services (WSUS – OS Update Delivery Solution)
    8 Months - Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface)
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    jbaello wrote:
     Used Remedy 6.0 (Action Request System) to track, resolve and escalate trouble tickets.
     Manage user and computer accounts using ADSIEit and NTDSUtil.
     Manage access to resources, design Group Scope and OU.
     Manage the user, computer environment by using Group Policy.
     Configure routing and remote access service.
     Manage and monitor DHCP, Allocate IP addressing by using DHCP, Design DHCP scope.
     Resolve host names by using DNS.
     Secure network traffic by using IPsec and certificates.
     Manage and monitor network access.
     WMI and VB script coding.
     Administered and Configured MSSQ, SQL and IIS 6.0.
     Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, different protocols and OSI Model
     Lead and Implemented a Windows Deployment Service (WDS) Project, which automates PC imaging and resolved SID System Log issue on multiple Domain controllers.
     Administered CA Unicenter Desktop and Server Management (DSM – Software Delivery Solution)
     Administered Patchlink/Windows Software Update Services (WSUS – OS Update Delivery Solution)
     Cisco Switching Subnet LAN Security/VLAN/VTP/Trunk (Sub Interface)

Gonna be honest with you, some of these make you look like you don't know what you're doing. You don't manage user and computer environments with ADSIEdit and NTDSUtil. Those are meant more for troubleshooting and specific tasks. Manage access to resources, design Group Scope and OU is vague and doesn't really sound like you have actually managed access to resources. I would be talking about OU in the context of Group Policy Objects, and scopes are only a small facet to groups, so you're limiting what you know (or would need to know) to successfully manage resource access. Your DHCP line says DHCP three times. That doesn't look professional. Anyone can resolve host names by using DNS; that's sorta the point of DNS. Don't list the words NetBIOS stands for, and just say you have experience managing and troubleshooting WINS. MSSQ - does that mean Microsoft Messaging Queue, or are you trying to say Microsoft SQL? Either it's a typo or doesn't fit in the line. Also, the WDS project line, say that you lead a desktop/server rapid deployment project using WDS.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is what they're thinking when they're reading this.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you given tasks and directions on how to do the task at work? Example: an administrator comes to you and says he needs his WINS database to be scavenged and to click this button and this button at 7pm tonight or something.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    No not at all, thanks for pointing out this stuff, I do appreciate it, it's more important for me to view others idea than just my own, I must admit that I did this in a hurry, some of this was actually from the actual job description scope from my last position, I got lazy now I pay the consequences.

Below is something that I created based from my last position back in 2003 as an overall IT Support/Sys Admin that lasted for a year, I was thinking of redoing some of it with this kind of context, some of the idea you guys have is good and I will basically based it on that.

I just basically run out of IDEA, let's say for example when I configure DNS I basically do all of this with DCPROMO, the only things I touch is when there is a problematic server/host I just check and ensure A/PTR record is existent, or maybe just created different DNS Records requested by different department, such as Database Department etc. or needed to forward my DNS Database to others vice versa.

The only time I actually used NTDSutil is when one of our production box roles has to be seized, aside from that I never used it for a long time again.

So this different experience kinda left me blank on what to talk about, that's why I seeked TE advise...

Here's the stuff I was thinking that I can copy reuse, let me know what you think.

 Deploy and configure Windows 2000 Server, Exchange 2000, DNS, DHCP scope and IIS.
     Install and configure SQL 2000
     Deploy and configure Norton anti virus business edition.
     Administers AD user accounts, rights, security and distribution groups, securing resource with NTFS permissions and file permissions.
     Maintain server components and vulnerability patch installations, IIS management, Event Viewer and log file analysis.
     Configure windows 2000 PC, Outlook 2000, setup GPO policy, and created Norton ghost image disc.
     Install Patch Panel, Rack mount, Cisco catalyst 2950, Cisco 7200 VXR, Packeteer packet shaper 2500 and SOHO watch guard firewall.
  • Options
    You aren't understanding qualitative and quantitative. You need to explain both the quality and quantity of your work. If you administered Win2k3 servers, how many did you administer and how many users. Did you administer them well? DHCP scope, I don't get what you are trying to convey by putting this in there. Did you do the initial setup of DHCP or are you just adding scopes to the DCHP server?
    Deployed Norton to who? How many users. Install and configured SQL to do what?
    Securing resources with NTFS permissions and file permissions? Why even put this in there. It seems like you are trying to make yourself seem smarter than you are, although you might know what it is if I seen this resume I would think you were trying to BS your way into the job.

For instance
    Install Patch Panel, Rack mount, Cisco catalyst 2950, Cisco 7200 VXR, Packeteer packet shaper 2500 and SOHO watch guard firewall

would be

Responsible for the installation, configuration, and deployment of all network equipment including Cisco switches, Watchguard firewall and Packeteer packet shaper.

Configure windows 2000 PC, Outlook 2000, setup GPO policy, and created Norton ghost image disc.
    would be

Responsible for the configuration and deployment and administration of over 1000 windows PC's using Norton Ghost, and Group Policy.

Something to that effect.

This needs work.
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    No not at all, thanks for pointing out this stuff, I do appreciate it, it's more important for me to view others idea than just my own, I must admit that I did this in a hurry, some of this was actually from the actual job description scope from my last position, I got lazy now I pay the consequences.
    Those things are usually written by HR people who don't understand the position for which they are recruiting. In my experience.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    You aren't understanding qualitative and quantitative. You need to explain both the quality and quantity of your work. If you administered Win2k3 servers, how many did you administer and how many users. Did you administer them well? DHCP scope, I don't get what you are trying to convey by putting this in there. Did you do the initial setup of DHCP or are you just adding scopes to the DCHP server?
    Deployed Norton to who? How many users. Install and configured SQL to do what?
    Securing resources with NTFS permissions and file permissions? Why even put this in there. It seems like you are trying to make yourself seem smarter than you are, although you might know what it is if I seen this resume I would think you were trying to BS your way into the job.

For instance
    Install Patch Panel, Rack mount, Cisco catalyst 2950, Cisco 7200 VXR, Packeteer packet shaper 2500 and SOHO watch guard firewall

would be

Responsible for the installation, configuration, and deployment of all network equipment including Cisco switches, Watchguard firewall and Packeteer packet shaper.

Configure windows 2000 PC, Outlook 2000, setup GPO policy, and created Norton ghost image disc.
    would be

Responsible for the configuration and deployment and administration of over 1000 windows PC's using Norton Ghost, and Group Policy.

Something to that effect.

This needs work.

I understand constructive criticism, but yours is not, this BS resume as you've label, is what got me in with 1 of the most admired software company "Intuit" as a jr. windows sys admin for the last 2 years, and now got my recent gig in Pasadena as a Sys Admin/Level 3 front end support making 70 K, and before my Pasadena gig got me an interview with Microsoft as a Platform Field Engineer PFE for a 6 figure salary, made it to the 1st and 2nd interview and failed the 3rd and final interview.

I do understand that my resume needs major touch up, and there is differing idea in public site like this, but I don't think I would even get my jobs, if I did not go through rigorous interview and screening with people such as Windows Architect/Network Administrator/Nerds, being bombarded with different technical issue, and actually did fine with the company even becoming the go to guy for complex issue.

I am not trying to make myself look smart, like I already mentioned some of my experience with this is light, and I do not deny that, I configure something then forget half of what I did, given the complexity of my role/job duties, but anyone that would challenge my technical ability does not see the fact that I do have 15 Years of general IT experience with me, through work, school and just IT being my hobby touching a little bit of everything.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure why you were so offended by remy's post. I thought he made good points, and I don't think he was trying to be insulting.

I posted a couple of links late last night that you might find useful as well. Check them out if you get a chance: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35365
  • Options
    Dynamik:
    Thanks for saying that. I see you understand where I was going with what I said.

I wasn't trying to be insulting to him at all. I was just giving him the bare facts. I never said he was TRYING to seem smart. , I said if I seen this resume I would think that. I also stated that he might know what he is talking about BUT the resume makes it SEEM like he was trying to BS.

Don't take it offensively, but if he does, oh well, It's not going to soften the reality of how his resume looks and seems. I was just trying to help build him up not break him down. No one ever questioned his abilities just the resume.
  • Options
    Okay I guess I misinterpret you. I agree this resume needs a lot of work, I will devote sometime today and post what I've come up with, since english is my 2nd language, I might omit my grammar etc.

Thanks...
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jbaello wrote: »
    Here's the stuff I was thinking that I can copy reuse, let me know what you think.

 Deploy and configure Windows 2000 Server, Exchange 2000, DNS, DHCP scope and IIS.
     Install and configure SQL 2000
     Deploy and configure Norton anti virus business edition.
     Administers AD user accounts, rights, security and distribution groups, securing resource with NTFS permissions and file permissions.
     Maintain server components and vulnerability patch installations, IIS management, Event Viewer and log file analysis.
     Configure windows 2000 PC, Outlook 2000, setup GPO policy, and created Norton ghost image disc.
     Install Patch Panel, Rack mount, Cisco catalyst 2950, Cisco 7200 VXR, Packeteer packet shaper 2500 and SOHO watch guard firewall.

Looks good although I would add how much or how often you have done these things so the prospective employer gets an idea of your experience level with said technologies. I would also have someone help you with your tenses/grammar as it could be improved, I understand that is not easy since English isn't your first language.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jbaello wrote: »

Chuck it.

Say something like "Monitor network connectivity of hosts with command line tools including ..."