Options

640-802 exam booked next week

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Well flat out, I'm nervous. :) I've been studying hours on end for a month and half now. I've been using simulators, Sybex 6 Edition, Dynamips, and just finished watching CBT Nuggets ICND 1 and ICND 2. I've built and simulated all the networks. I understand NAT, VLANs, VLAN trunking, VTP, and router switching concepts well, the only thing I'm iffy on is reading the syntax when it comes to ACL's. Also, I've been doing practice questions all over the Internet. I'm to the point where I'm scoring 80-90% on these practice tests.

I will be spending my time reviewing my notes now until next week. Is there any suggestions or anything I should do to prepare me for this test?

Comments

• Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    best of luck let us know how it goes icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you'll be fine. Just remember to read all questions on the test carefully and make sure your answers are the best available
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    keep reviewing and hit those acls hard until you know it inside and out, good luck and let us know how you did, dont forget the second chance offer is going on if you do happen to fail
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    niter3 wrote:
    Is there any suggestions or anything I should do to prepare me for this test?
    Keep doing what you're doing -- and try to relax (easier said than done) :D

Make sure you got all the topics in the exam blueprint covered. Check out the Cisco Exam Tutorial and the Cisco NDA now (links are in the CCNA Forum FAQ) so that you can use that time before the exam to jot down your notes -- or skip them on exam day and jump right to the exam. You've already been to the Cisco CCNA Prep Center -- right? Maybe do a few minutes a night at www.subnettingquestions.com to keep your subnetting skills sharp.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    cant really offer more than whats already been said....

the key to it is down to time managment....

answer what you can and know the answer is right...
    those that you pause to think.... eliminate the obvious wrong answers then look at whats left.... the answer will be obvious then....

dont.... and i MEAN DONT spend more than 10 mins on a simm...... trust me even when you think you can crack it, the time spent on it will kill you later.......

that aside relax and just answer them one at a time and READ the questions.... not the answers....

good luck
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    niter3 wrote:
    Is there any suggestions or anything I should do to prepare me for this test?
    Keep doing what you're doing -- and try to relax (easier said than done) :D

Make sure you got all the topics in the exam blueprint covered. Check out the Cisco Exam Tutorial and the Cisco NDA now (links are in the CCNA Forum FAQ) so that you can use that time before the exam to jot down your notes -- or skip them on exam day and jump right to the exam. You've already been to the Cisco CCNA Prep Center -- right? Maybe do a few minutes a night at www.subnettingquestions.com to keep your subnetting skills sharp.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

Hey, I've been doing all the practice questions on the CCNA Prep Center. I'm getting even more nervous now. I'm only scoring roughly %70 on these. Not I'm getting very nervous.
  • Options
    netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Said in my best Rob Schneider accent!

Keep hitting those CCNA Prep Center questions until your scores are higher and it can't be said enough even thought it's already been said once or twice in this thread......

Be VERY aware of time management.

You cannot spend more than 10 mins on a sim. If you are not real close to completing the sim in 10 mins, you must move on or you could run out of time leaving questions unanswered that you have no chance of helping your score. If will be painful to move on to another question when you know you left one incomplete but you have to shake off that punch like a fighter so you can answer the remaining questions.

It's easier said than done, but try to relax. Be systematic and focused to your approach with each question.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    bone_matalebone_matale Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, tell us how it went down!!!!!
    bt from wat you said, all you need to do is relax. as in when you write go thru each question carfully and concentrate! dont get distracted by a candidate next to u!!!
    Anything is possible wit a lil Hard work
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    Good luck! remember subnetting :P
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just get the commands into your fingers so that when you get to the sims on the exam they're second nature and you don't spend all day on them.

If you feel you're weak on access lists keep working on them. Set up some creative home labs if you have real equipment. Statically assign an IP to your PC then make an access list that blocks your IP. After that, try to block your PC from using telnet. You can get pretty creative with this.

Best of luck, I look forward to your bump with a "pass."
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Please let us know how you did. I sit mine July 2nd. I am nervous also. LOL suprise there.
  • Options
    I did horrible. :)

I ended up running short of time and had to skip MODERATED simulation questions. I only scored a 642 on the test. I am retaking mine not this Monday but next Monday.

The worst of it all, I feel that I know everything that I need to know. I just had a bad time with distractions and such. I hope the second time around I pass this exam.

It's been a tough exam so far...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    niter3 wrote:
    The worst of it all, I feel that I know everything that I need to know.
    It doesn't matter what you think you need to know, if you want to pass the exam you need to know all the topics in the exam blueprint. And that includes hands on practice of all the configure, verify, troubleshoot, etc topics.

Get back to the books, get some rack time, and Good Luck next time! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    To echo Mike, sit down and be honest with the exam blueprint while the exam is still fresh in your mind. Don't be afraid to admit that you're weak on specific subjects and brush up on them until you feel you know the material well enough. Cisco does a good service to test takers by letting them know how they do on specific subjects. Use your exam results to your benefit and nail it next time :)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    I just went through the blue print and the book and CBT Nuggets seemed to have covered all these topics...
    mikej412 wrote:
    niter3 wrote:
    The worst of it all, I feel that I know everything that I need to know.
    It doesn't matter what you think you need to know, if you want to pass the exam you need to know all the topics in the exam blueprint. And that includes hands on practice of all the configure, verify, troubleshoot, etc topics.

Get back to the books, get some rack time, and Good Luck next time! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    What Mike and I are saying is that you have to be honest with yourself about whether you REALLY know the material or not. It may be familiar with you but it probably isn't adequately understood.

Take your test results and observe the parts you did poorly on. Check those sections against the blueprint and go over that material again until you feel confident that you know it.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck.I'll be in the same shoes here in a few days.Although I cant say I'm happy paying the new $250.00 versus the old $125.00.I dont see the reason for the price increase.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    JUAN1984 wrote:
    Good luck.I'll be in the same shoes here in a few days.Although I cant say I'm happy paying the new $250.00 versus the old $125.00.I dont see the reason for the price increase.

I believe they realized the price of their exams was a huge bargain. Now the exams are prices more like other vendors (Comptia, for example).
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    JUAN1984 wrote:

I believe they realized the price of their exams was a huge bargain. Now the exams are prices more like other vendors (Comptia, for example).

Good point.Although you are comparing it to a vendor neutral companywith test that don't expire.Also specific to Cisco.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    niter3 wrote:
    I just went through the blue print and the book and CBT Nuggets seemed to have covered all these topics...

I'm not sold on CBT Nuggets as a primary resource just yet. One idea is to dream up some of your own sim questions and mentally step through the process of how to solve the problem. Ask yourself questions during problem solving. A systematic approach always helps.

Also, make things harder on yourself when answering practice questions. The CCNA is 50-60 questions in 90 minutes. Try answering 50-60 practice questions in 85 minutes or 80 minutes.

It's kinda like putting in golf. The best way to craft a better short game is to stick a tee in the green and try to hit from a foot away. Once you're doing that consistently, step another foot away and try to hit the tee. Eventually, you'll replace the tee with the hole and it'll be easy as pie to hit the target!

Best of luck on your next attempt
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    JUAN1984 wrote:

Good point.Although you are comparing it to a vendor neutral companywith test that don't expire.Also specific to Cisco.

So? The Cisco certs are arguably more valuable then the Comptia certs so they should cost the same if not more. Not that I'm happy the prices have gone up. Just sayin' ;)
    pbosworth@gmail.com