download issue within Vista?

j938j938 Member Posts: 101
ok, I am having a issue with my downloads after they complete. After they complete the destination in which I choose to have it save at it shows it there briefly and then it dissappears. When I search for the file I downloaded it shows a shortcut within the /appdata/ roaming/ directory and it shows the path for the shortcut to the destination where I wanted the file save but when I go there nothing is there.....

where are my files if they arent showing where they suppose to?

Have -
Vista Ultimate with all require updates
IE 7

I have also tried opera and firefox and same thing occurs.

Any ideas thanks? icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif:
Growth is limited.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    have you checked the downloads folder?
    goto C drive then users folder then choose your user name and in there is a downloads folder
    WIP: IPS exam
  • j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    have you checked the downloads folder?
    goto C drive then users folder then choose your user name and in there is a downloads folder

Yes I have and its empty .... whenever I download something I have it place in a certain folder ...

for instance lets say i was going to download AVG when it prompts to open or save it i save it to a directory and when it finishes downloading it shows in that folder for a spilt second then disappears...........

and it doesnt matter where I save it to
    Growth is limited.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    magic? :D
    WIP: IPS exam
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you find the file if you do a search for it? Be sure to use the advanced search option and choose unindexed locations.

Any download managers/av settings that might be causing this?
    dynamik wrote:
    Can you find the file if you do a search for it? Be sure to use the advanced search option and choose unindexed locations.

Any download managers/av settings that might be causing this?

when I search the file I dont find the actually file only the shortcut for it ...... ive use the advance and nonindexed locations no luck there....

i dont have any download managers.... or av settings causing this...

I may roll back to XP PRO cause it may be a problem within vista ... .but I want to figure this problem out without having to do this in case this problem every arises again rather it be at home or work.
    Growth is limited.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    j938 wrote:
    I may roll back to XP PRO cause it may be a problem within vista ... .but I want to figure this problem out without having to do this in case this problem every arises again rather it be at home or work.
    I've never heard of a problem with Vista itself that causes this. At least nothing that it does by default. You installed or done something that has messed about with UAC?

What happens if you just try and save a file from another application?

Tried it after temporarily disabling your AV software? Does your AV software have a quarantine area? Check the logs for it as well.

Create a new user temporarily and try downloading something.

Anything in the event logs about this?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds as if you are logged into a user account with a roaming profile. Try downloading from a local user account and see if the downloaded files stay in the specified download folder.
    Seems like I got it working now guys...

I uninstalled my AV and downloaded a file from IE and it was in the folder path it was suppose to be and stayed...

I then reinstalled my AV and download something again to make sure it work the same and it did

So I guess maybe it was my AV causing the problem or conflicting with something?????

Thanks to all.......
    Growth is limited.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you upgrade from XP? A clean install is the way to go. You may want to do that if you haven't (you can "upgrade" from Vista then go to advanced and choose clean install). You might continue to get weird problems like that which will drive you crazy.

Also, you can only rollback from a failed installation. Once it's up and running, you're stuck with it.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    What AV are you using?

I just had to switch from Free AVG to Avast because the IE plugin in Free AVG was hoarking a lot of stuff in IE.
    Good luck to all!