Options

New CCNA-level exams + changes to CCNA Exam Price

124»

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read the CCNA-Security book via Safari last night and it's very well written. I'm usually an outspoken critic of Cisco Press material (because I've been burned a few times by their quality) and I can assure you that this book is good. I read it from page I to the end and it was excellent. It covers the exam topics nicely and I'm looking forward to sitting the exam.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I read the CCNA-Security book via Safari last night and it's very well written. I'm usually an outspoken critic of Cisco Press material (because I've been burned a few times by their quality) and I can assure you that this book is good. I read it from page I to the end and it was excellent. It covers the exam topics nicely and I'm looking forward to sitting the exam.

Paul, did you really read the whole CCNA Security book last night? How long did it take you to read 672 pages?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Paul Boz wrote:

icon_eek.gif Wow! thanks for the heads up guess I'll be buying this book by the end of the week :D
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    127.0.0.1 wrote:

Paul, did you really read the whole CCNA Security book last night? How long did it take you to read 672 pages?

About seven hours. I have decent security experience so a lot of it was just "mmhmm" etc. I went to bed at 5:30am. I also didn't do the exercises or read any of the intro stuff (roman numerals) or any of the indexes and memory tables.

On that note, does anyone know if this can be purchased in an electronic format yet? I've checked on Oreilly's Safari as well as Cisco Press' website and no luck.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Well i just ordered the CCNA Sec book today from amazon.com

Bless the weak american dollar for making it so cheap for australians ;)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just been checking out the discussion boards on the CCNA certification section of the learning site and one of the Cisco Moderators posted this in regard to the specilization voice, wireless and security exams renewing the vanilla CCNA;
    Individuals passing any current CCNA concentration exam (wireless, security, voice) will automatically recertify their expiring CCNA concentration, CCNA or CCENT certification. Passing any 642 professional level exam or written CCDE or CCIE exam will also recertify a CCNA Concentration.

Andrew
    Cisco Moderator

similar answer from Manager of Cisco Learning and Development in a different topic on the site
    The new CCNA concentrations provide additional options for you to recertify your current CCNA if yours is about to expire. Passing any of the new CCNA concentration exams (IINS, IIUC, or IUWNE) will recertify your CCNA as well as earn you a new CCNA concentration. Just make sure you pass one of these exams before your current CCNA expires.

--Christine

good news icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow 250 $ for 802... How will I still afford my exams icon_sad.gif I'm already having issue with reimbursement with my company, I think this increase is unjustified, just my .02...
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're lucky that you get reimbursement period. I don't get any. I pay for everything myself. Another reason why I'm looking for greener pastures. These new changes prompt me to consider CCNA: Wireless soon after I finish CWNA/CWSP since I would have studied the fundamental materials by then.

These are prerequisites now:
    CCNA: Security -> CCSP
    CCNA: Voice -> CCVP

CCNA: Wireless is not a prerequisite for anything? Does that mean it will have its own professional track in the future? Over the past few years, Cisco has been constantly proclaiming that Wireless is a huge deal and will only continue to grow with heavy reliance on professions to support that networking conduit. icon_idea.gif
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote:
    You're lucky that you get reimbursement period. I don't get any. I pay for everything myself. Another reason why I'm looking for greener pastures. These new changes prompt me to consider CCNA: Wireless soon after I finish CWNA/CWSP since I would have studied the fundamental materials by then.

These are prerequisites now:
    CCNA: Security -> CCSP
    CCNA: Voice -> CCVP

CCNA: Wireless is not a prerequisite for anything? Does that mean it will have its own professional track in the future? Over the past few years, Cisco has been constantly proclaiming that Wireless is a huge deal and will only continue to grow with heavy reliance on professions to support that networking conduit. icon_idea.gif

Hey I know where Cerritos is, beautiful place. So would you guys recommend doing CCNA all at once or doing CCENT?
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    mamono wrote:
    You're lucky that you get reimbursement period. I don't get any. I pay for everything myself.

ditto

I think most employers seem to think that employees are generally certifying themselves to try to land a better job. The truth is, in some ways they're kind of right, although, some employees just want the company to value them more highly.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    jbaello wrote:
    Hey I know where Cerritos is, beautiful place.
    I use to work in Cerritos. A great city for Indian, Thai, and Filipino food. The South Street Deli at the Cerritos mall is very good too.

Now I'm all hungry... icon_confused.gif