Options

CCIE Wireless

aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
With all the hoopla going on in the CCENT/CCNA forum about the new CCNA certs, I thought there might be some discussions going on here about the new, and apparently confirmed CCIE wireless track.

I first read the news in CCIE Pursuits blog (a R&S CCIE candidate I've been closely following)

Also check out the post from the Internetwork Expert blog

I'm curious what other's in this forum think. icon_neutral.gif
CCIE Wr: In Progress...
Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
Follow my study progress at Route My World!
My CCIE Thread

Comments

• Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Part of me was surprised to read about the CCIE Wireless coming. Especially since there isn't a Professional level wireless track from Cisco. Unless you count the changes made to the CCNP track.

Will be interesting to see what they have for a blueprint.
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    I have also been waiting in anticipation on this cert track. After voice is done I will probably go do that...( I really like VoW stuff)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Theres no professional level storage track either :P

I am glad this is out, as I would hate for them to through wireless into the R/S track. Not sure how popular it will be, but interesting anyway.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I asked this in another thread, but how do you think it's going to compare to the CWNE? That one seems pretty rare. I don't of anyone that has it, but it seems to currently be the most advanced wireless cert.
  • Options
    nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I asked this in another thread, but how do you think it's going to compare to the CWNE? That one seems pretty rare. I don't of anyone that has it, but it seems to currently be the most advanced wireless cert.

I think the only people that have the CWNE are people that were formally CWAPs that were upgraded, before the formal CWNE program was announced. Last time I checked the CWNP forums, they were boasting that no one had passed the CWNE yet, since it's introduction over a year earlier, not sure if this is good publicity for the certification.

But their certification testing and study material, are top quality from my experience with the CWNA. I'm due to renew mine at the end of the year, but may let it slide and see what Cisco is offering, as most people in the industry here in AU don't know, or don't care in knowing about the CWNP program. I'm also too busy focusing on my CCIE lab anyhow.

However, given the CCIE tag on a wireless cert it will most likely end up eclipsing the CWNP program, especially with the fact you dont have to submit a list of projects plus references, that you've been working on over the last two years. Good way to protect the cert, but may do more damage in the long run.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    nullrouter wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    However, given the CCIE tag on a wireless cert it will most likely end up eclipsing the CWNP program.
    I was thinking along this line with regards to dynamik's question. I myself am not at all familiar with the CWNx certifications. And I doubt that many are familiar or even that interested in the cert. At least not for what the title brings in terms of recognizability.

Cisco is an ubiquitous term that many in our industry know and respect. The fact that the CWNE is not yet as widely popular leads me to believe that CCIE wireless might just overtake it in popularity. And I don't see CCIE Wireless going the CCIE Storage path (in terms of it being the least popular) as wireless is becoming more and more prevalent in enterprise solutions nowadays. Obviously as new technologies are built and improved, the ultimate goal with be to go completely wireless - although, who knows how long that will be. This in itself would be a huge topic of contention as there are strong proponents of wireless as much as wired platforms. But that is deserving of its own discussion.

Ultimately, because I don't feel yet that the CWNP is as widely popular, that the CCIE Wireless will find its way to seriously compete with it - with Cisco eventually winning the battle.

...but i can always be wrong icon_wink.gif
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Theres no professional level storage track either :P

GT-Rob,

According to the "General Certifications" table on the "IT Certifications" webpage, the Professional level certification in the Storage Networking track is the CCNP. :P

Source:
    1. IT Certifications - Cisco - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone here working with the Cisco wireless portfolio? Be perpared to fail youe wireless lab due to a code bug on the controller. I upgrade the code at the request of TAC to fix one problem and a bug that was fixed a year ago in a previous code fix comes back. sigh. So much for QA.
    The only easy day was yesterday!