Options

Tip regarding NTFS Attributes (Permissions/Compression/EFS)

tcpsyntcpsyn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Move Same Retain.

If you move files within the same partition, they retain their attributes.
Everything else inherits the attributes of the target folder.
And we're using windows why?

Comments

• Options
    pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Indeed, thats the only case you need to remember. These types of things are great for remembering some key points.

But note that strictly speaking it's moving within the same volume rather than partition. I remember this as MVR or MoVeR. Move within Volume Retains.
  • Options
    tcpsyntcpsyn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you saying that this only applies on dynamic drives?
    And we're using windows why?
  • Options
    pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, basic and dynamic disks can be formatted as NTFS.

A volume can take several forms and may be multiple physical disks. Be sure to read up on the different forms.
  • Options
    gsmith1247gsmith1247 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't an exception to this be an encrypted file copied to an unencrypted folder on the same volume? If I understand it right, and encrypted file copied to an unencrypted folder on the same volume would stay encrypted, (or defeating encryption would be painfully easy.)

This would defy the MOVE SAME RETAIN and everything else inherits the attributes of the target folder rule.

Correct me if I"m misunderstanding that.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    No no. If its on the same volume it retains. They are correct. It takes on whatever the target folder is when it jumps volumes.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you move within the same partition it stays the same as the Master File Table is updated. If you do a copy, it makes a new file and the attributes don't come over. If you move to a new partition, the Master File Table cannot be updated and new attributes get created either way.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    But keep in mind though "encryption" can be the exception to this RULE.

i.e. putting an encrypted file => to an unencrypted folder

THE ENCRYPTION REMAINS., except when transferring through the network