Options

RHCE Study Group

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whoops. Missed "course". Yea, you don't need to take any courses.
  • Options
    mgrennanmgrennan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are studding for your RHCE or you would like to join a study group to study, please check out http://www.linuxfanboy.com. I am working on getting my RHCE and I would like to find other people doing the same. You can also email me at mark at linuxfanboy.com.

Thanks.
  • Options
    There's a few of us here working on it as well: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35578

My studies are on hold because of a college class, but they'll pick up again next year.
  • Options
    trojan82trojan82 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this still happening? I am studying for CLP and then CLE. While these are not RHCE the CLE exam I am told is a killer.

I would love to join in on discussion and try to help when I can. I am in Australia so my timing is a little out compared to the rest of the world but soon enough (This week) I will have 2 Linux boxes (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) set up with SSH access outside that I am willing to grant access to others too. If you think having a SLES person involved will hinder your study then thats cool.....I only stumbled across this forum today....Its a winner!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    trojan82 wrote:
    Is this still happening? I am studying for CLP and then CLE. While these are not RHCE the CLE exam I am told is a killer.

I would love to join in on discussion and try to help when I can. I am in Australia so my timing is a little out compared to the rest of the world but soon enough (This week) I will have 2 Linux boxes (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) set up with SSH access outside that I am willing to grant access to others too. If you think having a SLES person involved will hinder your study then thats cool.....I only stumbled across this forum today....Its a winner!

Im looking at Novell SUSE next year, also Solaris SCSA and RHCE. That should clean up my house in Linux/UNIX land so I will be interested to see how this group gets along. I think there were plans for a few on this thread to have taken the RHCE by now.
  • Options
    Ah, plans. If only ye could be stuck to...

I think the closest anyway has gotten is Darkerosxx with his RHCT. Undomiel got a new job, I got swamped with a writing-intensive college course, and Liven abandoned us and is apparently working on his CCNP. I'm going to hit this hard again in early-2009. Hurry up and finish that lab up ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

I think the closest anyway has gotten is Darkerosxx with his RHCT. Undomiel got a new job, I got swamped with a writing-intensive college course, and Liven abandoned us and is apparently working on his CCNP. I'm going to hit this hard again in early-2009. Hurry up and finish that lab up ;)

hehehe..well Im trying my best. Im inbetween contracts at the moment so now I have more time to prepare. The RHCE is labour intensive so without significant time to prepare it will remain a long term thing for candidates. Hopefully your diary opens up a little next year.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yeah the new job is getting in the way a lot. Which is good and bad at the same time! It is looking like I'll need to knock out the MCITP:EA first before getting back to RHCE studies. I have my RHCE study book staring at me mournfully on my desk at home. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Turgon wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

hehehe..well Im trying my best. Im inbetween contracts at the moment so now I have more time to prepare. The RHCE is labour intensive so without significant time to prepare it will remain a long term thing for candidates. Hopefully your diary opens up a little next year.

For the RHCE, do you plan on studying by yourself or taking the course?
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

For the RHCE, do you plan on studying by yourself or taking the course?

I will look at the material sometime next year and see how it goes. Probably I will get Novell SuSE and SCSA out of the way first.
  • Options
    Sounds good, but I'd suggest focusing on one OS track. At least as far as SuSE and RHEL go, they're very similar and a cert in one track is looked upon by most places as good for both. I honestly haven't heard of any Fortune 500 businesses with production equipment using anything other than those two, anyways. If you're looking for CCIE, I assume that's your job market.
  • Options
    fizeen.testfizeen.test Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I already have a private forum setup. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I didn't want to flood this site with bunch of crazy banter. I'll definitely post back any relevant notes, resources, tips, etc. later on.

We're just getting started on the Jang book this week. We're reading one chapter a week (16 total) with a one week break every four chapters. Then we'll get into lab exercises, etc.

Hi dynamik,
    I am fizeen.can u add me in your RHCE prject group....I will try hard to do the projects that we under take ....I will prove my words....I have some knowledge in linux..please help me in this regard so that we can learn and do our best...

~fizeen
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918

Hey, I didn't abandon you ()&!@#$*(&%#. But I am working as a network engineer right now... When I was looking for a new job everyone was offering me networking positions. So I figured might as well keep going with Cisco. I will get back to this though.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    bluemcbluemc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this RHCE group still going? I just joined this forum and I want to work towards getting my RHCE.

Please pm or reply if this study group is still go.
  • Options
    bchoi0000bchoi0000 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bluemc wrote: »
    Is this RHCE group still going? I just joined this forum and I want to work towards getting my RHCE.

Please pm or reply if this study group is still go.

Hi, I've created a RHCE mailing list at rhce2009@freelists.org. It should be up and running now.

Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to
    rhce2009-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
    logging into the Web interface.
    - Users can unsubscribe from the list by sending email to
    rhce2009-request@freelists.org with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not sure if I can be dedicated enough at the moment for a study group - but would some people be able to "professionally" break systems and analyze / check solutions ?

My idea is to have a bare metal RHEL server on our ESX cluster having snapshots etc. (also from certain installs such as apache / squid and whatnot), someone gets SSH / VNC access and once that person is done breaking the system I will try to fix it ?

"Professionally" because I don't' want someone to just run a 'rm -rf' in root and says "fix it".

Well you know what I mean :)

Anyone done this kinda thing before etc. ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    There is an rpm out that will do that for you and give you hints to fix it...I don't think it's the one used by redhat during exams...it was posted on TE a long time ago, but I can't remember what it's called.
  • Options
    I don't think it's been updated for v5 though.
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    There is an rpm out that will do that for you and give you hints to fix it...I don't think it's the one used by redhat during exams...it was posted on TE a long time ago, but I can't remember what it's called.

That was for a very old version - I believe it was still for RHEL3
    I don't think it's been updated for v5 though.

If even that :)
  • Options
    Practice is practice! If you want, though, I'll break your machine. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    serino78serino78 Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone thought about or used the live lab that redhat offers for about 250 a week.

I thought about taking advantage of that about one week out from taking the test.

I will only use it if they make the break/fix troubleshooting rpm's available to use with the lab though.
  • Options
    serino78 wrote: »
    Has anyone thought about or used the live lab that redhat offers for about 250 a week.

I thought about taking advantage of that about one week out from taking the test.

I will only use it if they make the break/fix troubleshooting rpm's available to use with the lab though.

I also tried to find some more information about those labs but so far all I can find is that you get a server and a client where the client has a full X install.

Hell for $250 / week is quite steep .. I mean I can provide virtual server for a lot less ... A LOT ...
  • Options
    serino78 wrote: »

That really seems like they're just offering servers remotely and that's it. I haven't seen anything different from using your own machine.

I think they use the rpm's in the classes, so I don't think they'd offer them with just a lab purchase. Ya never know, though! Give em a call and see what all you get out of it.
  • Options
    shadowman5shadowman5 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there any more openings for RHCE study group? How active is the group?

I am hoping to take the RHCE soon (by May or June). I feel like I am 99% ready. I have been doing alot of Unix/Linux Admin at my work which uses RHEL 4 update 5. I already got my RHCT for RHEL 5 last year.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Hey guys,

RHCE is on my list to do...and while reviewing my SCSA and SCNA on Solaris 10, I thought of trying the same concepts on RHEL 5...which is very luring lol

I have CBT for RHEL 4 and I have Solaris 10 and RHEL 5 dual boot on my PC at home...and I'm not sure when I am going to take the exam...though I'd like to share my studies with you guys...

Is there anyway we can share knowledge/practice ? Maybe I'll get motivated with you and move faster with the RHCE ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is doing this any more icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I haven't really had much time to swing over there and keep up with what's going on. However, I'm around here and if you want to discuss anything or open a new thread for specific sections, feel free and I'll join in with you.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm playing with networking services, as well as Security on both Solaris and Red Hat. Specially that my boss asked me to do the Solaris Security certifications...It's fun configuring and testing this stuff !

Anyway, if anyone want to study a specific topic then PM me or add me on GoogleTalk ( unixguy2000[at]gmail[d0t]com icon_cool.gif ). I can give time to study that topic if possible.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    You might want to remove your email address unless you want it harvested for spam bots ;)
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone doing this these days, for RHCE or RHCSA? Seems like a good idea. 3 year bump ftw!