Options

Router Diagnostics

badsectorbadsector Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Is there a built-in diagnostics in every cisco router? Say i want to check that all components are functioning properly. Currently i have pair of cisco 7507 and want to diagnose. What tools do you use?

I appreciate your comments.

Thank you,
Network and Security Engineering

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well you can see the POST it goes through when it boots and then there is also show tech which is usually something that TAC asks for when you are having a problem.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    show diag

show tech-support
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty much any show command will be helpful, as others have said.

Sh hardware is a good baseline for what's actually installed. Sh diag, as mike said, is good also.

Are you having a specific problem?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also look at GOLD, not sure if it's supported on the model/rsp you have.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    badsectorbadsector Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

Thanks to your comments, i appreciate a lot.
    I missed this forum, I got my CCNA and MS cert in here. The last time i posted here it was last 2005 so i even forget my password but you guys are still supportive like before.

I'll try the commands, hope it works.

-- Paul Boz,

I got a system initiated restart on 1 box without any indication of the cause. The thing i remember is one of the PA's on those box is having intermittent ports. The last time i checked i did not find any intermittent port, its weird. So i just think if i can run router diagnostics to find the problem. Any tools or application you know to test or diagnose a router aside from the show commands in cisco?

What is GOLD?

Thank you,
    Network and Security Engineering
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    badsector wrote:
    What is GOLD?
    Generic OnLine Diagnostics (GOLD)

It's a diagnostic framework supported on some routers (and the Catalyst 6500's) covering bootup, health monitors, hardware faults, etc and supports manual or scheduled testing. I'm not very familiar with it (but I guess dtlokee is) as I've only seen it used by a colleague on a pair of new 6509E's with supe720-3CXL's that were recently installed for a client (VSS is awesome!).
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Okay well given the fact that you really aren't sure why the problem occurred, you may just have to wait for another failure to diagnose the problem. In the mean time, enable logging to a syslog server.

For more information on the commands available to do so, follow This link.

The basic configuration would be:

Router(config)#logging [address of server]
    Router(config)#logging on

You can then select which trap levels you want to include in your syslogs with the following command:

R1(config)#logging trap [severity]

This way, whenever you experience a failure you will have a log of the event and can use it for diagnosis.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    show tech-support

Oh god, I just did this on a 3550 and it's still going.

"show process cpu history" just flew by and that's a cool one. Learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Eco wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:
    show tech-support
    Oh god, I just did this on a 3550 and it's still going.
    You should try it on a fully populated 6509... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use GOLD on all of our new 6500's and 4500's that we ship from integration as part of the burn in process. Different Supervisors and blades will support different tests on them and it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours dependin on the test. An ASIC memory test takes the longest.
    The only easy day was yesterday!