Options

70-649 Scheduled for next week... Any tips?

preecypreecy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone who has sat 70-649 could give me any pointers on which areas to watch out for. Past experince has taught me, although the exam covers all of its criteria, Microsoft tend to throw lots of the same types of questions at you. I can remember areas such; dns, dhcp, dc deployments, rras, certs, etc were all hot topics & Microsoft favourites during my mcse exams.

So far my study material has been:

Syngress - The Real MCITP Exam Upgrading 2003 Prep Kit
Home Lab - 1 x 2008 DC, 1 x RODC, 1 x Core, 1 x 2003 DC & 1 x Vista client
TrainSignal CBT - Intro to w2k8

Also, my Prometric email booking confirmation states i only have 2 hours, 15 minutes for the exam? How many questions am i supposed to cover in just over 2 hours? This seems a little short to me?

Thanks in advance
next up SharePoint... what's that all about!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Know the domain/forest functional levels. Know RODC, know some IIS. Look through previous posts on this board for more elaborate answers. You will find lots of good information.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Please let us know how you do. I'm curious to see if those resources are enough to get by with. I have them, and I'd really rather not pick up three additional MS Press books or something like that.

It seems like the questions in the new MS exams are much more to the point than in the 2003 exams. I did 620 in just over a half hour.

Good luck!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Please let us know how you do. I'm curious to see if those resources are enough to get by with. I have them, and I'd really rather not pick up three additional MS Press books or something like that.

It seems like the questions in the new MS exams are much more to the point than in the 2003 exams. I did 620 in just over a half hour.

Good luck!

Will do, however I should mentioned i also attended two 3 day W2k8 Beta courses; 'Upgrading your AD Skills' and 'Upgrading your Network Infrastucture Skills' back in January too. Exam is now booked for 11/07/08 but not feeling very confident, not sure what to expect really?

I agree, i dont expect the exam to be as easy as the Vista exam, however if the questions are as direct as they were in 70-620 i will be a happy man.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Questions are quite direct. I used only SAM's Server 2008 Unleashed, MeasureUp (70-649)/SelfTest (70-647) and TechNet. Any MSCE 2003 should be able to pass these exams with a bit of lab and study.

The SAM's book has the best treatment of active directory I have ever read, btw. I cannot praise that book enough.
  • Options
    Well that wasnt as difficult as i expected. Passed with score of 890. Next month i plan to sti 70-647 but it depends on how much free time i get for studying.

As mentioned my study material was:
    3 day tutor led course: 2008 upgrading AD & network
    Syngress - The Real MCITP Exam Upgrading 2003 Prep Kit
    2008 Home Lab (Hyper V): 1 x 2008 DC, 1 x RODC, 1 x Core, 1 x 2003 DC & 1 x Vista client
    TrainSignal CBT - Intro to w2k8

Exam consists of 59 questions and 2:15 minutes. My exam was sectioned into 4 parts for some strange reason.

20 Q's with 40mins
    10 Q's with 20mins
    20 Q's with 50mins
    9 Q's with 25mins

I'd say my 2003 knowledge allowed me to correctly answer 30-40% of the questions as they had no (or very little) reference to 2008. For example i got questions such as; what port to allow for RDP, what encryption to use with smart cards, how to secure a website - SSL & certs, etc. The other 60-70% of the questions were based on 2008 senarios. I'd imagine you could probably correctly answer most of these with educated guessing and a little luck. Dont get me wrong there are some hard questions but not enough of them to fail.

Thanks Robert, off to order SAMs server 2008 Unleashed for 70-647 ;)
  • Options
    Congratulations on the pass!

How well would you say the Trainsignal and Syngress resources prepared you for the exam? Could you have done it without the course?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass!

How well would you say the Trainsignal and Syngress resources prepared you for the exam? Could you have done it without the course?

Yes i think so. The Trainsignal CBT doesnt cover nearly enough to be honest. However the Syngress Book is very good. I've been working my wat through that for the last month and performing each exercise on my own home lab... this is what got me through.
  • Options
    That's cool. Thanks for the feedback.

I figured the Train Signal CBT was more just a look at what's new; I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of only six hours. I'll probably wrap that up before the end of the weekend. I was more curious about how well the Syngress book covered it.

Good luck with 647!