Options

Active Directory Command Line Tools

Mark11Mark11 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am learning the AD Command Line tools at the moment, Dsadd, dsget, dsmod, dsmove, dsrm and dsquery. I wanted to ask do I need to know all the switches that each command can use for the exam as I am finding it hard to remember them all. If i know what each command will do will that be enough to answer any questions on the exam relating to the command line tools?

Thanks
Mark

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best way to approach all these Microsoft tests is not to memorize, but it is to learn and understand. So once you use dsadd, dsmod in a script you wrote and you understand what exactly it does then that should be efficient.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the questions are going to be looking for which tool to use in a specific circumstance. You're not going to have four options with dsmod and various options or anything like that. It's not like the Linux+ *shudders*
  • Options
    Great, thanks for the replies I am writing scripts using these commands which is helping no end, it was just the fact I could not always remember the switch I needed to use.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    As Mishra and dynamik mentioned, it is more about knowing when to use which command line tool than the actual switches for them. I think the 270 was the only one that required knowing some of the switches for unattended installs and sysprep.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you can remember the command line switches, you are a better person than me :)

/? is my best friend...there is also reference manuals and technet
  • Options
    Trust me /? it's my best friend as well :D . I just thought that what if they ask me what switch i needed in the exam with no /? to refer to. Thankfully it sounds like i'll be OK.