Options

NEED HELP!

ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi there!

I have a simple question:

After a program installation ,my pc shut down! I've scaned the installation files of this program with 3 antivirus tools and 2 spyware tools,all with virus/spyware definition updated!Nothing malicious is found.
I restart the machine and try to open the recently program installed and ...again my pc shut down. I'm using XP and I'm not on a network...If i try to install another program(game)the computer restarts!and practically I can't install the game,because this weird "restart" it's happen every time ....so,if I click my icon program to launch it ,it turn off my pc and if try to install another program it doesn't work:the pc it's restarting!

In the end I tried to uninstall the program but is not working!?

I can use my other installed programms without problem.

What to do!?
Why my pc shuts down?What is causing this?

I hope that those who passed the Security + exam can answer me icon_lol.gif

Next week I'll try "to get down" A+ cert fighting my OS test" icon_evil.gif

Thanx in advance
Mess with the best,Die like the rest!

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    More info please ...

What is the game? What is your OS?

That should do for starters
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Adobe DVD and Prince of Persia(game)

Xp Pro norwegian language,Dell pc with 256 MB RAMBUS,1,8GHZ P4...NIS 2004;Ad-Aware pro and what do u need more...?
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Mmm! From my days in virusnum these sounds like a typical worm infection. I once experienced same stuff on XP.(Microsof buggs i guess). System would pop up message "a rundll error occurred. System being shut down by NT authority". Anyway i recommend you back up your files, unistall and reinstall the system. Immediately install Norton System Works. Connect to internet and use live update. Once virus defination have been updated scan the system and i can bet a worm on these one(Check quarantine to prove). Worked for me. Hope it helps.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    nyma96nyma96 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    check the log file to see if a program is causing shutdown...
    and Im not sure where but in control panel and system ( I think )
    you could configure not to reboot on crash...
    happened to me couple of time but it wasnt virus or anything like that...
    just wrong configuration...
  • Options
    Thanks....
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you want to go to Advanced in System Properties and change the settings for System Failure.
    I would try running Spybot S&D (not that I think this is the cause, but it can't hurt icon_wink.gif ) and then run one of the on-line AV scans. Used Norton, Trend or Panda as they all have a free one.
    If you do not have Norton System Works or Utilities I would suggest a manual dredge through the registry removing referrences to your game program as sometimes a broken reference there can result in sudden crashes.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    I chosed to clean install Windows again....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That's probably your best bet and if you've done it before, it shouldn't be a problem. Some people recommend a clean install around once a year or so anyway. I for one agree with them.