CompTIA IT Pro membership - worth the money?

RickQRickQ Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
The thread title says it all basically.

I am studying for and will be taking my Network+ exam within the next week and so I am currently looking for how best to pay for it. I am looking at sites offering discount exam vouchers and bundles, etc. I have my study guide/book and some practices tests so I don't really need any of that, but the IT Pro site interests me because of the forum, the access to Book247 Business Library and the 25% off the exam cost.

The membership cost is $79 and the exam cost is $232 straight from the testing center.

Here is a link to the site http://itpro.comptia.org/

Is anyone currently a member of the IT Pro site? What do you think of it, is it worth the money?

I am really interested in your opinions to help me figure out what makes the most sense.

Cheers,
Rick
Working on: Security+

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    are you planning on taking more CompTIA exams after net+?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    - CompTIA Reference Library Powered by Books24x7 – Access to hundreds of books covering technology topics Opportunity to register for career development or certification Webinars
    - 20 percent off access to the full Books24x7 BusinessPro library
    You get full access to the CompTIA Reference Library on Books24x7 but it looks like only 20% off the BusinessPro library.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    CompTIA isn't worth it unless you're going to use the discount to take an exam.

It's highly overpriced and in return you receive next to nothing. IMO, they don't do anything to bring the industry forward, so there are better org's to join and put your money towards that also give you just about nothing.
  • RickQRickQ Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    are you planning on taking more CompTIA exams after net+?

I might take the Security+ exam, it depends on what my bosses at work want me to focus on.

darkerosxx, I am going to take the Net+ exam within the next week, does that change your opinion?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    You get 20% off one exam, so:

CompTIA Network+® VUE Voucher Expiration December 31, 2008
    CompTIA Member Price : $185.00
    Non Member Price : $232.00
    Members Save : 20.00 %

That adds more value to it. It's up to you, though.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GetCertify4less Net+ Voucher: $207 (208 + 1$ off code)
    Comptia Voucher: $185

Realistically, only an 11% savings. As getting a Voucher from GetCertify4Less doesn't require a 'membership'. Save your money. Don't join.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    GetCertify4less Net+ Voucher: $207 (208 + 1$ off code)
    Comptia Voucher: $185

Realistically, only an 11% savings. As getting a Voucher from GetCertify4Less doesn't require a 'membership'. Save your money. Don't join.

+1 I hate those emails they send me constantly, I'd love to say make it worth it and I'd think about it. :D
  • RickQRickQ Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So the consensus is no, it's not worth it for the extra stuff, just get a voucher from somewhere else?

The book I used to study for the test offers vouchers on their site for $200 and that includes some practice questions, so I will probably go for that.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Two words. NOT WORTH IT AT ALL OK MORE WORDS HERE TO GRATUITOUSLY INCREASE THE WORD COUNT AS TO SPARK OBVIOUS COMMENT.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Obvious comment.

I didn't think it was worth it when I looked into it either.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    brad- wrote:
    Two words. NOT WORTH IT AT ALL OK MORE WORDS HERE TO GRATUITOUSLY INCREASE THE WORD COUNT AS TO SPARK OBVIOUS COMMENT.

<this space intentionally left blank.>
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/