Options

VTP Question

clamzclamz Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Folks, I have a question about VTP that is bugging me.

In Odom ICND2 the book states,

"If a switch that still has a (default) null domain name receives a VTP update --which by definition lists a domain name -- and no password was used by the sending switch, the receiving switch starts using that VTP domain name"

I replicated a scenario in Packet Tracer where this is the case. I have SW1 that has a vtp domain of Cisco and no password set. SW2 has a null domain name and it never received a VTP update from SW1. The domain name remained as default.

Can anybody shed some light on this please?

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In short Packet Tracer sucks.

But the book is correct. Use Dynamips or real equipment and it will work the correct way.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    clamz wrote:

"If a switch that still has a (default) null domain name receives a VTP update --which by definition lists a domain name -- and no password was used by the sending switch, the receiving switch starts using that VTP domain name"

I replicated a scenario in Packet Tracer where this is the case. I have SW1 that has a vtp domain of Cisco and no password set. SW2 has a null domain name and it never received a VTP update from SW1. The domain name remained as default.

clamz,

Is SW2's VTP role server or client?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    In short Packet Tracer sucks.

But the book is correct. Use Dynamips or real equipment and it will work the correct way.

Yes scheistermeister is correct sims always screw things up don't even bother with them, only the real thing. Personally I wouldn't recommend dynamips until atleast after the CCENT if not the CCNA. It definitely helped me learning how the cabling went together, now when i do my CCNA:S and CCNP I will use dynamips.
  • Options
    clamzclamz Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□

clamz,

SW2 is default server mode. [/quote]
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    clamz wrote:

I think it's safe to say that the text above is accurate. I'm speaking from personal experience doing the same thing in a lab scenario with real equipment (2 x 2950s). I had configured a 2950 with a domain name intending to do the same for the other. When I got to the second switch, it had already received an update and had taken the VTP domain name of the first switch.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    clamz wrote:

clamz,

SW2 is default server mode.

clamz,

So, do VTP servers receive updates or send updates?
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    clamz wrote:

clamz,

SW2 is default server mode.

clamz,

So, do VTP servers receive updates or send updates?

Both
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.