Virtual Machine

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
I'm getting Virtual PC 2004 w/ SP1 this Monday from school and some ISO images (Vista, XP, 2000). Are their any good tutorials on Virtual PC 2004 and am I going to be able to use these operating systems with it? Because I would really like to fool around with them, especially Vista because I'm study for the 620.
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You allowed to run Vista inside a VM?
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    tiersten wrote:

I hope so... my school has it on their VMs, I just want it at home so I can mess with it...

I wasn't trying to be funny; I just thought you'd want to use the latest version.
    dynamik wrote:
    I wasn't trying to be funny; I just thought you'd want to use the latest version.

Well I found it funny that its free, when I was all excited about getting 2004 :)

jryantech wrote:
    tiersten wrote:

I hope so... my school has it on their VMs, I just want it at home so I can mess with it...
    Just vaguely remembered something about Vista licensing. Depends on which version of Vista you have. Home = You're not allowed to run it in VM.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Just vaguely remembered something about Vista licensing. Depends on which version of Vista you have. Home = You're not allowed to run it in VM.
    Nah, they got rid of that restriction earlier this year due to the backlash.
    Microsoft has lifted its ban on enabling Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium in virtual machine environments.

The company announced on January 21 its decision to add the two new SKUs and planned to update its end-user license agreement to reflect the change.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1122
    Ah okay. Good that they finally got rid of that stupid rule.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think the only catch is to be "officially supported" you need to be running SP1.
    Well hopefully when I get all the ISO images on Monday I can set it up... I got VM 2007 on my computer now waiting... This would be very helpful for my studies...

Download Ubuntu or something and test it. Don't let it sit idle all weekend :D