Options

Should I take this one before 290?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I deal a lot with network infastructure for my job and I am thinking this might be an easier test personally...

I am assuming it covers DHCP, DNS, Routing and Remote Access, VPN, networking protocols etc?

I havent sat down really hard and studied lately due to a new job...

Any input? I always hear this is the hardest one of the MCSA track.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think if you work with this stuff it really isn't that bad. I used the MS Press book and technet as my study sources. At the time however I was working with this stuff everyday so that helped. Take a practice exam, see how you do and focus on your weak areas
  • Options
    mariegeniamariegenia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello!!!
    You can take the order that you preffer, maybe based on your expierence.
    I think 290 is easier, I've read that 291 is one of the hardest exams!!!
    I took that first because I did'nt have experience with DNS and DHCP with are the main subjects on 291.
    working on 70-291

70-290
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I personally have found the 270 to be the most difficult so far. 290 was the easiest one. For 291 I think the difficulty comes mostly from people being very unfamiliar with how DNS works and having never used RRAS. If you use those services frequently and in various different configurations then it isn't too difficult to pick up the parts you don't know and pass the exam. But you would want to make sure that you're familiar with how Server 2003 works as well otherwise you may get tripped up on some of the more esoteric questions.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I will probobly give the 291 a shot first before 290. My company already purchased the learnkey material for this test and I deal with DNS and DHCP all the time so it sounds like this may be in my ballpark a little more.

I would agree that the 70-270 was the hardest one for me so far as well. I dont do a lot of user support so it made that test harder. I am used to linux/unix and windows boxes and supporting their services. IE: DNS, Web, Mail etc.

I am going on vacation for the 4th and then I will get hard into it. I will let you know how it comes along.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only if you're a masochist...

I don't think it matters in your case. 291 really isn't difficult because of the complexity of the content. It's just a lot of content. It covers the most material out of any exam in the MCSE track (with the possible exception of electives). If you've got a decent handle on the material, it shouldn't be too bad for you. Good luck.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:

I don't think it matters in your case. 291 really isn't difficult because of the complexity of the content. It's just a lot of content. It covers the most material out of any exam in the MCSE track (with the possible exception of electives). If you've got a decent handle on the material, it shouldn't be too bad for you. Good luck.

Having just completed this exam I would have to say that this one statement is the best summary I have seen of what to expect on 291....nothing on it was impossible, but there was a lot of ground that had to be covered to prepare for it.

MS
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    eMeS wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Having just completed this exam I would have to say that this one statement is the best summary I have seen of what to expect on 291....nothing on it was impossible, but there was a lot of ground that had to be covered to prepare for it.

MS

+2 and +3, theres alot in there. For most people aslong as they take there time and give it extra study time they should be ok, for yourself as you sound like you have the experience you should be fine.

Also as said you will find the 290 easier than the 291.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    kmfinegan1kmfinegan1 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you live in that world I would say go for it. I just passes 291 as my first MS Exam...see post http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35867

I registered for the exam on Jun 16 for July 3. I read the MS Press book and used ExamForce CramMaster. I read a chapter a day, took notes, and used the self test for a week before the exam.

I have been a Network Admin for 9 years. 6 1/2 were dealing with a pure Novell environment. The past 2 1/2 have been in a mixed Windows / Novell Environment. I don't live in the DNS / RRAS world as we have a very simple AD Domain.

I think the hardest part of the exam is getting used to the long-winded questions were 75% of the information is completely irrelevant.

Good Luck!
    In Progress 70-431
  • Options
    I have 8 years of overall experience and 4 years of admin experience. I am currently working for a company that deals with enterprise environments. We deal with DoD as an example. So hopefully some of the experiences I can gain from this new job will help me through this exam.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have 8 years of overall experience and 4 years of admin experience. I am currently working for a company that deals with enterprise environments. We deal with DoD as an example. So hopefully some of the experiences I can gain from this new job will help me through this exam.
    I would suggest doing a practice test from Self Test Software or Transcender to find out if you're rough in any areas. I was in the same position as you and once I read the chapter on RRAS and security templates again (hadn't used either in quite a while) I blew through the exam without any trouble. If i hadn't reviewed the RRAS stuff I would have struggled at times.

Good luck!