Options

Job offer from Qwest!

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
I just heard back from Qwest and I have been offered the job, I'm moving to Minneapolis!!
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    congratulations! icon_cheers.gificon_bounce.gificon_thumright.gificon_cyclops_ani.gificon_smurf.gificon_rendeer.gifbowing.gifangel.gifdrunken_smilie.gif
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Woohoo!!! Congratulations!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! That's great news. :D

Like dynamik said, be sure to move soon - otherwise you might change your mind...

1241_tongue_frozen_to_a_pole.gif
  • Options
    Thaks for the congrats guys :D

lol, astorrs, for real, hopefull I can get out there soon before winter sets in.

-Bender
  • Options
    Nah it's not that bad... I think this guy works for Qwest in MN too. ;)

What are the job description/details again?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:

and from my understanding, thats the 'NEW' NOC there as well :D

congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    and from my understanding, thats the 'NEW' NOC there as well :D!
    No no, this is the NOC from the inside and the outside
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:

LOL, damn of MLS was like that I would seriously reconsider, full artic gear to go outside, that would be insane!

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

LOL, damn of MLS was like that I would seriously reconsider, full artic gear to go outside, that would be insane!
    Yeah we're just screwing with you. icon_lol.gif

I think its great you landed it. Can you remind us all about the details of the position? All I remember is they liked your Juniper experience.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    I think its great you landed it. Can you remind us all about the details of the position? All I remember is they liked your Juniper experience.

Sure thing

Its a spot for Qwest teir 3 support and it will deal with provider infrastructor, Sonet lines, ATM lines, Juniper routers in the core, and Cisco 6500 switches on the edge.

So it'll be a huge learning experience, and plus a huge pay raise.

-Bender
  • Options
    That sounds great and should be lots of fun. :D

Are you responsible just for one specific region or all of NAM?
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    So your saying those Juniper certs paid off? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Grats and good luck icon_cool.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    from what i've been told this group supports the qwest cyber centers, all over the world, not exactly sure on what the cyber centers are but i'll be finding out.

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote:
    from what i've been told this group supports the qwest cyber centers, all over the world, not exactly sure on what the cyber centers are but i'll be finding out.

Qwest CyberCenters

Whether running multimedia, corporate intranet/extranet or e-commerce applications, Qwest CyberCentersSM provide a secure, reliable and scalable foundation for your success. Specifically designed to provide state-of-the-art hosting for mission-critical Web sites and enterprise applications, the Qwest CyberCenters with more than 50,000 square feet provide you with a compelling alternative to developing, deploying and staffing your own Internet data center.

Qwest CyberCenters are staffed 24/7 with highly trained technical engineers. In addition, the Qwest® Customer Call Center adheres to a strict escalation procedure to help ensure your company's applications are available to you and your customers at all times. A design and development team will assist you in everything from strategic planning to quality assurance and stress testing of existing applications prior to Web deployment.

http://www.qwest.com/about/qwest/QwestCyberCenters/benefits.html
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    Aldur wrote:
    Yeah we're just screwing with you. icon_lol.gif

I'm not. Anyone who works outside in the winter is going to look just like that guy, maybe with more on. You're going to have to buddle-the-F-up for about 4-6 weeks in the middle of winter. There was a couple of weeks last year where your morning started at -15, and that was before wind chill, which is where the real cold comes from. I have a 25 minute commute, and my car doesn't warm up until the last 5 minutes. Oh, I don't mean to rain on your parade... Congratulations icon_thumright.gif

When do you think you'll be out here? Any idea where you're going to be living? I highly encourage you to get a place that has an attached garage or underground parking; you don't want to be scraping your car off every morning. I'm seriously considering not renewing my lease and moving just so I don't have to scrape again this year.
  • Options
    I wasn't implying it wasn't still cold in MN, just that McMurdo is a little colder (as bad as -57F in the winter, plus the wind chill).

March 7, 2007 @ MSP International Airport:
    610x.jpg
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Buy some long underwear before you leave...from those pics it looks like you might need it!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Good luck on the new position!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do they run the air conditioner 24/7 to keep the equipment cool or do they just leave the back door open? icon_wink.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    Aldur wrote:

lol, astorrs, for real, hopefull I can get out there soon before winter sets in.

To late. Spring/Summer/Fall was last Thursday I believe!;)

Congratulations.
  • Options
    btowntech wrote:
    Do they run the air conditioner 24/7 to keep the equipment cool or do they just leave the back door open? icon_wink.gif

You'd be amazed at what you can do here:

9999963.jpg.jpg

That's not my place. I'd have better beer ;)
  • Options
    whistler wrote:
    Aldur wrote:

To late. Spring/Summer/Fall was last Thursday I believe!;)

Congratulations.
    icon_rofl.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the info astorrs, that helps put this job into perspective, I've been so busy studying for the JNCIP and doing school work that I didn't think about looking it up on qwest's website.
    dynamik wrote:
    When do you think you'll be out here? Any idea where you're going to be living? I highly encourage you to get a place that has an attached garage or underground parking; you don't want to be scraping your car off every morning. I'm seriously considering not renewing my lease and moving just so I don't have to scrape again this year.

From the sounds of it I am probably looking at 6-8 weeks before I can start, which means I'll arrive just in time for the cold! I've been looking at houses to buy in the MLS area and suprisingly what I found is rather cheap, I'm talking 4 bed 3 bath houses for 90-120k. My only concern is that most of the houses that I looked at seem to be in the same neighbor hood, all within 5 miles of eachother. Could that mean a bad neighborhood and everybody is trying to get the hell out? But anywho, we'll fly out there and do some lookin before the job starts.

-Bender
  • Options
    Yea, you're either going to get shot or have the house is going to collapse on you. I'm in an older part of St. Paul, and tiny houses with small yards are $200k+. If I could find something half that size for that price, I'd stop renting in a heartbeat.

Here's the neighborhood I'm in. I even found one that was for sale for you ;) I'd guess that those range from $200-300k. That's actually a nice area, and you can get downtown Minneapolis in 15-20 minutes (excluding bad traffic). Drag the little guy around to see the rest of it. That wasn't the best part to show off.

You should check out Google street view. Also, I'm about 15 minutes from the airport, so if you want to fly out for a weekend, I can pick you up and show you around. I assume you'd want to have some idea where you're going to live before your arrive with your stuff.

6-8 weeks is actually going to be nice. The fall is my favorite time of the year. Sweatshirt weather with beautiful colors. It actually doesn't start getting real cold until mid-late December. However, it stayed cold through pretty much all of April this.
  • Options
    Holy crap dynamik, you are right about getting shot, the crime rates for that area I was looking at were about 3 times the national average. I'll pass on those neighborhoods! I took a look at the google maps thing, thats a pretty nice neighborhood you live in, I'd definitely want to look for something like that.

Thats good to hear that it doesn't get to cold til mid december, that'll give me enough time to get out there and get settled in. I do love the fall time of year as well, growing up it always meant cooler weather and then christmas is around the corner.

The wife and I were thinking about flying out there to have a look at houses and such so that would be awesome if you would show us around, that is if you don't mind. I'll hit ya up when we get closer to a date that we'd be flying out.

-Bender
  • Options
    BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    Congrats on the job. I use to work for Qwest back in '99-'01 in NJ. We supporting the NOCs throughtout the US. It was a lot of fun.

I remember they flew me out to the NOC in Denver because I had to train the newbies that they were bringing aboard because they were consolidating our department out there.

Best of luck!!!!
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever