Options

2 Questions

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Greetings:

I have 2 quick questions.

1- Does the exam tell you when it is using ip subnet-zero for finding subnets or is it always assumed to be on?

2- What exactly does a switch do with an IP address? I know it is needed for Telnet, however, what else does a switch do with it?

Thank you,
es

icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    examseeker wrote:
    2- What exactly does a switch do with an IP address? I know it is needed for Telnet, however, what else does a switch do with it?

That is a huge question... It can do a lot with that IP... I would just leave it at that for now.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    examseeker wrote:
    Greetings:

I have 2 quick questions.

1- Does the exam tell you when it is using ip subnet-zero for finding subnets or is it always assumed to be on?

Thank you,
    es

icon_lol.gif
    1. Cisco routers now come with ip subnet zero enabled by default so I assume that is what will be on the exam

2.A switch can even do a routers job depending on the switch platform.

But in terms of a layer 2 switch, an Ip address is used for management purposes and the ip default-gateway is used to send unknown packets to the router
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. You shouldn't assume anything. You will be able to discern whether or not it is enabled based on the question or exhibit, but it probably won't explicitly tell you. Be sure to know when you can and cannot use subnet zero and what to look for in the config.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    examseeker wrote:

That is a huge question... It can do a lot with that IP... I would just leave it at that for now.

Well he's mainly referring at a CCNA level I believe which mainly only deals with L2 switching which you would really only assign a vlan an IP for management purposes. I'd have to look at the new objectives but I don't remember reading anything about L3 switching. So to the OP take a look at the objectives here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-802.html this is what you should base your studying off of. When you begin your CCNP studies is when you will learn more about multi layer switching.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    to answer your second question here is the best explanation to your question about subnet zero on the exam...

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/2462
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They usually use the IP address to fend off rouge switches as if it was a binary baseball bat icon_lol.gif

Like shednik said on the CCNA level its just used for management.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Thank you for the replies.. I do plan taking the CCNA 1 exam option this month, so wish me luck!

As far as it goes, I cannot wait to get to CCNP level of studies to find out more!

Thanks,
    es
    icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    examseeker wrote:
    wish me luck!
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!