Options

I got a new job too!

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
Since there is talk of the job market slowing, I have decided to add to the "I got a new job" posts to help ease peoples nerves who are trying to break into the industry!

I have decided to except an offer with a major business VoIP provider in the area as a "Specialty" Network Engineer (VoIP engineer). The interview and HR process took a couple weeks and I will be starting on Tuesday (Yeah longer weekend!). It will be a 10k a year increase in salary and also will be closer to home. So with the savings in gas it will be about 12k raise icon_lol.gif

I have been slowly trying to work my way deeper into the VoIP industry over the past couple years and this will be my second job working solely with VoIP technologies. It is a great field to get into, and it has been a lot easier for me lately to find opportunities with VoIP rather then regular routing and switching positions. Maybe people are right when they say the voice market is hot!

So to all you guys looking to get into a field or make a change, just keep at it and once you get a few years experience under your belt the jobs will come a lot easier if you work hard!
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's great news. I saw you mention that you were looking, and I was wondering if anything came from it. Congratulations, you've certainly earned it!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Good luck with the job and enjoy it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The voice market definitely is hot. Anybody getting into voip will be well off for many years to come.

Congrats.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you like doing voice compared to other IT fields? What are some advantages/disadvantages?

Do you work with the end user a lot?

Congrats
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey networker, hows the market out in Raleigh. I see your location is RTP and I assume thats the Research Triangle Park. Im really considering making a move out there.
  • Options
    Voice work is very interesting to me, so its a huge advantage to work in a field that sparks your interest. The only disadvantage (if you want to call it that) is that there are so many different vendor technologies that people tend to get more specialized in a certain product line such as Avaya, Cisco or Nortel. In the routing and switching world their is a huge market share for Cisco so if you learn Cisco gear you are good to go in almost any networking gig.

I don't work with end users at all, mainly with PBX or network admins which is great because I don't really like end users icon_lol.gif . My current (well former) position I did tier II support so it was a lot of easy fixes. With my new position I will be working higher up on the chain so I won't have to deal with the everyday simple issues anymore. Hopefully I can settle down in this position and get back to my certifications as well.
  • Options
    EJizzel wrote:
    Hey networker, hows the market out in Raleigh. I see your location is RTP and I assume thats the Research Triangle Park. Im really considering making a move out there.

The market is excellent here as its a highly technical area and continues to grow rapidly. With all the positions comes a lot of competition also so make sure you stay on your game!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats! good advice for all the job hunters
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    heartlandheartland Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Nice job. probably i should be gearing up for CCNA exam.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats networker that sounds like an awesome opportunity for you!! does this mean we'll see progression towards a CCVP in your future?
  • Options
    I will probably start heading down the CCVP route. I still have tow more NP exams to knock out first though.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Congratz networker, I sure can understand how excited you probably are :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats networker. Voice is definitely hot! Video has been hot here as well with all the FIOS implementation going on. It sounds like an excellent opportunity!
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Thats great news! Congrats!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the good news!