Options

Panic

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
As the big day approaches anyone have any valuable tips for anxiety??

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    to help calm your nerves just remember the second chance offer is going on, so worse case scenario is you learn your weak areas and get a peak at how the test is, good luck and let us know how you do!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Thanks will do. Im only worried about the subnetting questions as they are time consuming
  • Options
    http://www.subnettingquestions.com - when I was prepping for the CCNA I would hit the questions found there over and over everyday
  • Options
    WOW great! Thanks a million!!!
  • Options
    no problem, post back if you have any other questions
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    2 words Time Management!!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    If you havent read Todd Lamle's Sybex book then you should at least for the subnetting part. It makes it easy to remember. Subnetting is key for passing the test. I learned it from the sybex book and can now do it in my head flawlessly.
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    dredlord wrote:

I was really nervous too. But once I got into the testing area, i sort of settled down. Think positive, and if the worst comes to worst, this test will have highlighted some weak points, which you will then study harder for, and be better of for the future anyways.
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out my advice in this thread
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33648

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Im currently brushing up on subnetting using Chris Bryant material and CBT nuggets.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    dredlord wrote:

dredlord,

Here's some advice from me:
    1. Before exam
      [list=1:623a43c571]
    2. Try driving out to the test center to get familiar with the route.
    3. Once you arrive at the test center, ask them about the procedure to check in to take an exam.
    4. While at test center, see if you can get a tour of the testing center building, then scheduling permitting, see if you can sit at one of the computers used in the testing.
    [*]Day before exam
    1. Do NO STUDYING WHATSOEVER. What isn't in your head is not likely to fit in a stressful cramming method that may probably be used this day.
    2. Eat well.
    3. Rest well.
    [*]Day of exam
    1. Eat well.
    2. Pack some snacks and drinks if you think you're going to need some on the trip to the testing center.
    3. Remember that you've already visited the testing center so that should help calm you down.
    4. Remember that you may have already sat in the chair you may be sitting in today so that should help calm you down.
    5. Remember that since you can't go back to the previous question, feel free to use the WHOLE whiteboard for calculations and diagrams for the CURRENT question. Once upon a time, I made the mistake of trying to conserve whiteboard space by writing small in the individual grid boxes. Then I realized that was stupid, thus my advice.
    6. This is just a little something I do but when I hit the [Next>] button for the last question, I take a breath, then while clicking the [Next>] button, I softly say to myself "Pow." I then do the breath and "pow" thing until I reach the results screen.
    7. This is another little something I did when I last took the 640-801 CCNA exam but when I saw the results screen saying "Congratulations!" I thrust my fists into the air then shouted "Yes!" Fortunately for me, I was the only one in the testing room at the time. Unfortunately, the testing center "room" was actually somewhere in the middle of a cubicle farm in the building. Fortunately, it was a Friday night so I hope I didn't disturb too many people.
    [/list:o:623a43c571]

I hope these help. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Your post makes a lot of sense, very logical tanks for the contribution :D
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes tech-airman's advice is excellent.

And remember because of the Second Chance promotion the worst thing that can come out of the exam is a free retake at a later date. :D
  • Options
    Exam scheduled the day of reckoning is 2nd Aug

I would like to thank you all for your excellent help lets hope I get to hang my first Cisco cert on the wall hehe :P
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So CCNA has a 2nd shot? when will it expire?
  • Options
    I don't know don't plan on checking, want to pass on first attempt so im mentally set for that objective.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    October 15th. See the link in my previous post.
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [*]This is just a little something I do but when I hit the [Next>] button for the last question, I take a breath, then while clicking the [Next>] button, I softly say to myself "Pow." I then do the breath and "pow" thing until I reach the results screen.

Good advice, good advice.Although the pow thing sounds funny, I guess to calm your nerves.What helps me is getting a good nights sleep.Easier said then done before a test right.I schedule on weekends around noon that way I can sleep in to make sure I get good rest.Eat a healthy breakfast.Good luck.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally a good stiff drink before an exam takes the edge off ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    pwrstickpwrstick Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took Melatonin to get sleep the night before. It's over the counter sleep aid that doesn't give you a hangover (like Nyquil or Tylenol PM).

It's also really cheap. Get the controlled-release or time-released stuff.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    astorrs wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    October 15th. See the link in my previous post.

Wow, that's a sweet deal, I'm thinking about going for the CCNA next and this makes it all that much better.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    See if you can exercise the morning of, even if just for 15 min to get the blood pumping. don't eat (too much) before the exam, keep the blood in your head and not your stomach (I read that in a Sherlock Holmes book somewhere I think. I then followed it for the next 20 years of my existence lol).

Good luck!! and of course... Best wishes!

G.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!