Options

How long did it take you to finish CCNP?

aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
I was just wondering. I'm projecting about a year and half will do it for me. However, because I don't have much understanding yet of the breadth or depth of the subjects I have to take on, it could change.

For those who have their CCNP, how long did it take you? What's your previous background prior to embarking on the track? What are the circumstances under which you had to undergo while running for CCNP (ie full time student, full time worker, family, etc)?

I do plan to remain consistent with my previous study plan when I did CCNA. That is, study about 20 hours a week, minimum. I don't get any experience at work since I touch mostly desktops and servers so experience-wise it'll all have to be done on the home lab. I figure, if I spend 4 months per exam, putting in a minimum of 80 hours of studying a month, that should do it for me. What do you guys think?
CCIE Wr: In Progress...
Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
Follow my study progress at Route My World!
My CCIE Thread

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do not have my CCNP yet, but am halfway through the tests. I went over all of the material for CCNP in 3 quarters for school while being a full-time student. I plan to re-read the BSCI and ISCW sections in the next few weeks and take the tests for them both by the end of the month. If I was smart I would have taken the tests right after I finished them the first time, but I was dumb and put them off. ONT was the shortest and easiest to my by far with BCMSN not to far behind. BSCO and ISCW, to me, are the longest and hardest.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    7 months for CCNP

I am currently doing my CCVP and I want to do it within 5 months but this seems to be more intensive than the CCNP in my opinion.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    i know a guy who did it in 12 days.

my brother did it in 4 months.

i plan on doing it in 1 year.

i guess it all depends on how much study time you got!!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wild guess he had a background in Cisco networking already? ;)
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□

12 days he must have a lot of experience.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been studying pretty regularly since Sept. '07 and I'm almost done with the BCMSN. I've already passed the BSCI. I figure I'll be done by Feb. '09. So it'll probably take me a year and a half.
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    1 year
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:

That's one scenario icon_rolleyes.gif

I obviously don't know the guy; just take stories like that with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

That's one scenario icon_rolleyes.gif

I obviously don't know the guy; just take stories like that with a grain of salt.
    Hey now remember I did the MCSA in 10 days so I could believe it if you had a heavy background in the stuff.
  • Options
    That's why I only said to take it with a grain of salt.

And just FYI, MCSA != CCNP ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    And just FYI, MCSA != CCNP ;)
    Sheesh, Would an MCSE=CCNP in your books... I would have written those last 2 MCSE exams the day after if that would have made you happier; you're worse than my wife. :P
  • Options
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    about 9months total.

For the record, I have done MCSA and CCNP, and IMO MCSA=1 CCNP exam.
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:
    For the record, I have done MCSA and CCNP, and IMO MCSA=1 CCNP exam.
    Fair enough. I'll let you know in a year or two what I think... ;)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on the experience you have. However I don't know anyone who works with ALL the technologies in a single CCNP exam on a regular basis. I think based on your study plan you could knock it out in your timeframe. If you get some production experience even less.

I just knocked out the routing exam and it took me about 3 months and I have just over a year of solid (every day) networking experience under my belt
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    OK, so I think in general between 12months and 16 months is a decent timeframe. I'm not even going to consider the 6 month or less time frame. Even one year would be pushing it for my case. You would really have to have at least 2-3 years of solid Cisco experience in order to pull that off.

I have no doubt that anyone can pull it off in a month -or 12 days for that matter-if you really devote all the time to studying. But one has to wonder how much practical application you can learn and be able to translate into real world productivity by doing that. In essence you're really only studying to pass a test and not to train for your craft. I believe some people who have been in the industry for years but don't have their certs go this route. And that's ok. Too bad most of us don't get that opportunity. So the only thing we can rely on is the persistence and determination to train for a long period. And hope that our persistence is paid off by getting the chance to work in a real "dream network" ;)

Hey, thanks guys and good luck to everyone! Easy on the firecrackers bom.gif
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I think a year of pretty dedicated study is a fair estimate. You can do it shorter if you put more hours in, spend more weekends in a book. Also helps to have access to racks and not having to wait for them or recable 1000 times.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    6 months
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I spent about 5 months on obtaining the cert. Experince plays a major roll in studies.

Everyday on the job is great experince.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    JUAN1984 wrote:

12 days he must have a lot of experience.

he obtained it through a ccnp bootcamp. the bootcamp was 12 days long. 3 days covering all the material for each exam, then they had the option to test after every 3 days and he passed all 4 exams. it took him 3 times doing the ccie r&s lab, but he finally got it done. he was a pretty smart guy. i worked with him up in anchorage alaska. we both worked for GCI, which is Anchorage's largest ISP.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□

It would take 12 days to figure out the entire content of the exam.So he spent 3 days per course content.This would be possible if he were a cisco instructor, but if he were, he would already have the exams.Even someone with alot of experience would need about 1 month as its not possible to work on everything to keep ram updated.
    Ah but then we have our good friend Mr ****.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    12 days on CCNP, I have already spent 4 months on 70-236 Exchange :P

Well that is an average of 3 - 4 hours of study/lab everyday for me...
  • Options
    ccie_in_the_makingccie_in_the_making Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    6 months........experience helps :D
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EdTheLad wrote:

It would take 12 days to figure out the entire content of the exam.So he spent 3 days per course content.This would be possible if he were a cisco instructor, but if he were, he would already have the exams.Even someone with alot of experience would need about 1 month as its not possible to work on everything to keep ram updated.

Exactly, anyone with a decent memory can remember the exam answers. I just hope he'd never get past the interview. Then again, we had a 'network designer' who put a new switch it without configuring it in vtp transparent mode (basic CCNA stuff) and ended up costing hours of outage, not to mention shitload of work for our team.
  • Options
    Let's not jump to conclusions. That's why I added "with a grain of salt" to my post. He could have been prepping for two years, and just did the boot camp as review before the exams.

The point I'm trying to make is that simply saying "CCNP is 12 days" makes it sound suspicious.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sepiraph wrote:
    Then again, we had a 'network designer' who put a new switch it without configuring it in vtp transparent mode (basic CCNA stuff) and ended up costing hours of outage, not to mention shitload of work for our team.

I am sure doing a bonehead move like that will knock someone's ego down a few notches...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    9 months, via the composite route. I got pretty high scores (2978/3000 over all) so I could have done it in less time but I was thorough.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm projecting a year. My boss did it in two weeks.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Sepiraph wrote:
    EdTheLad wrote:

Exactly, anyone with a decent memory can remember the exam answers. I just hope he'd never get past the interview. Then again, we had a 'network designer' who put a new switch it without configuring it in vtp transparent mode (basic CCNA stuff) and ended up costing hours of outage, not to mention shitload of work for our team.

what? he's a CCIE now. passed the interview? he was already a lead network engineer and the company paid for him to go take the test. whats with all the hatin? you know, some people are just extremely intelligent. so i wouldn't say he "dumped" the information if you have never met him. that's all.
  • Options
    buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    12 days sounds reasonable considering your description of the fellow.

I know of folks who have done similar. Typically people working as technical consultants for Cisco Partners or engineers at service providers.

Suspicious would be people who are systems admins mainly working on Windows Servers and have a single layer 2 Cisco switch at their work that they never need to touch yet have somehow scored 990/1000's on their CCNP exams... a bit scary and makes one who studied hard feel cheated but rest assure those types will never get CCIE :)
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)