Options

How would you ask this question?

Nsdad1107Nsdad1107 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been in my current position for over 3.5 years as a PC/network tech support guy. Besides that, many other duties: video distribution, LCD projectors, AMX control systems, DVD/VCR repair...I could go on. It is a very small dept.

I would like to someday be a network/systems admin. but not in my current workplace due to the fact there is no advancement opportunities. My preference would be to work in a state university or large hospital/healthcare system.

We are currently migrating from NetWare 6.5 to Server 2008 virtualizing with VMWare ESX 3.5. I would really like to learn AD and the features of the VMWare. How can I go about asking my boss to give me responsiblities and duties associated with the path I want to pursue? Currently our network engineer is a PT contract employee and is doing all the migration. I feel if I don't learn it where I am (great learning environment), then I'll never be able to get any experience or a job offer anywhere. My boss is somewhat protective of our network and for all the right reasons but almost too protective.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for all the advice. Happy 4th :D

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to pick up some Server 2008 and/or ESX resources and do a little self-study in advance to make it seem like you have a decent handle on things. What's your current level of familiarity with the Windows Server platform and ESX?

To answer your question, I would say something along the lines of how I want to be more involved, have more responsibilities, etc., and ask if there was anything I could do to help out. I'd try to convey an enthusiastic interest and a desire to learn.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A large portion of getting what you want in a negotiation is confidence.

That said, I think the post you just did would be prefect! Direct and honest and then sell value. You COULD add value to your pitch by rushing in with some Win2k8 knowledge by crashing coursing this weekend in Win2k8 videos.

This upgrade project sounds amazing, even if you don't get in on everything learn what you can.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Just ask if you can shadow the other guy while he's doing his work and you're not busy. Talk to the guy and let him know you're interested in learning what he's doing and ask if he wouldn't mind explaining things as he goes along.

In most cases, people don't mind doing it. Sometimes, they would rather not show you because they feel you're trying to steal their work for next time. Just play it cool.