Options

fast stp...

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
is it possible to configure fast STP on a 2924? i use a 2924 in my home network and the wait sucks, especially with turning on gaming systems.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bad news...
    There are no models of the 2924 that support RSTP, no matter what IOS you have
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=219765#219765

Do you even need STP in your home network though?
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Why use a 2924, you are probably better off with just a netgear type consumer grade switch.
  • Options
    TMM3TMM3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can configure portfast on a 2924, give it a try: 'spanning-tree portfast' in iface config mode.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Yeah you can configure it.
  • Options
    TMM3 wrote:
    Yes, you can configure portfast on a 2924, give it a try: 'spanning-tree portfast' in iface config mode.
    Fair enough PortFast will do what he needs, to the OP since you're doing your CCNA, be aware that PortFast and RSTP are different things (PortFast was Cisco's proprietary implementation prior to the 802.1w standard).
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    apples and oranges
    configuring portfast does not give you rstp

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/146.html
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Fair enough PortFast will do what he needs, to the OP since you're doing your CCNA, be aware that PortFast and RSTP are different things (PortFast was Cisco's proprietary implementation prior to the 802.1w standard).

Correction.....

Portfast is to be used in any STP implementation when you are absolutely sure it is only one host device connected to that port (e.g PC, printer etc) and not another switch... this allows the port to bypass all other states and straight into the forwarding state. As without this configure DHCP requests may timeout.....

Cisco implemented features such as BackboneFast, UplinkFast to enhance the original STP standard (802.1d) but these are features that by default belong to 802.1w (RSTP).

You can configure portfast on your 2924 by the way..... :)

conf t

int fa 0/1

spanning-tree portfast

or enable portfast by default on all ports that are not trunked via 'spanning-tree portfast default'
    global config cmd.

:)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A.P.A wrote:

Correction.....

Portfast is to be used in any STP implementation when you are absolutely sure it is only one host device connected to that port (e.g PC, printer etc) and not another switch... this allows the port to bypass all other states and straight into the forwarding state. As without this configure DHCP requests may timeout.....

Cisco implemented features such as BackboneFast, UplinkFast to enhance the original STP standard (802.1d) but these are features that by default belong to 802.1w (RSTP).

You can configure portfast on your 2924 by the way..... :)

conf t

int fa 0/1

spanning-tree portfast

or enable portfast by default on all ports that are not trunked via 'spanning-tree portfast default'
    global config cmd.

:)

word ....
    you said what i was too lazy to say ....
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    A.P.A wrote:
    [Correction.....

Okay I should have been more specific in saying that PortFast was Cisco's proprietary solution to the problems caused by STP's initial delay (during block/listen/learn/forward). I realize it is still valid today, but was there anything else wrong about what I said?
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Why use a 2924, you are probably better off with just a netgear type consumer grade switch.
    already had a 2924 sitting around, didn't feel it was necessary to drop a bunch of money on another switch.

i'd disable STP but i've got it hooked to two Linksys WRT-54G's. there are no redundant links but i won't take my chances there.

i'll just hold off until i can find a 2950 or a cheap consumer one on ebay.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685