Options

Passed 290 today with my highest pass mark so far!!!

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took the 70-290 today passed with 942 which I'm over the moon about. Especially as I took the 70-270 and barely scraped through. Personally I found the 70-290 easier than the 70-270. I think this maybe attributed to the fact that I have gained a lot more hands on experience through my new job. I work at a brand new site so this has given me the opportunity to implement some of the things I have learned I.E Shadow copies and I also set up some performace alerts etc. Although this was only temporary until we installed MOM.

What I Used to Pass 70-290

70-290 Microsoft training kit
70-290 Sybex book
70-290 exam cram

Transcender Practice exams
Techexam.net notes and practice exams

Hands on experience through home lab

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Top score, congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Labbing up is the way to go!

Whats next, 291?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job! Love the score.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thats an excellent score. Nice one icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MobilOne wrote:
    Top score, congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Labbing up is the way to go!

Whats next, 291?

Yep 291 is next on the cards. I have already got my boss to pay for the sybex exams and transcenders. I'm slightly nervous about the beast as it has got a bit of a reputation I may give myself slightly longer to pass this exam to make sure I have absorbed every last morsel from every resource possible.
  • Options
    cjthedj45 wrote:
    I have absorbed every last morsel from every resource possible.

You'd better!! icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    MobilOne wrote:
    cjthedj45 wrote:
    I have absorbed every last morsel from every resource possible.

You'd better!! icon_wink.gif

Is it really that hard then? I see you have passed it did you pass first time and can you reccomend and study resources? I see you have got your CCNA as well which I will be doing after the 291 how do to the two compare in difficulty. Thanks
  • Options
    I wish I had already passed it! No, I am upto the 4th chapter of the MS Press book. I am not really following the book, just doing some exercises and scenarios that I created myself (which has resulted in the follwoing thread http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35887).

All that the CCNA has done for me is that it has made subnetting very easy for me. In fact, I know it inside-out. So the first 3 or so chapters in the book were just a revision of some of the CCNA stuff.

Have two DC's and an XP client for the 291 and you should be well set.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Good Job! nice score. You shouldn't have any problems with 291
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    cjthedj45 wrote:

70-290 Sybex book
    70-290 exam cram

which would you say is more helpful, the sybex book or the microsoft training kit book? i got the sybex book for the xp which had about 650 pages. but i heard all the raves review about the ms press book, so got the ms press book for my 70-290 exam. just got it today and it looks like it doesn't that detail, mostly exercises and i think less pages compare to the sybex book.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like how you specified so far. You're definitely setting yourself up for a 1000 on 291 ;)

Congrats.
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MobilOne wrote:
    I wish I had already passed it! No, I am upto the 4th chapter of the MS Press book. I am not really following the book, just doing some exercises and scenarios that I created myself (which has resulted in the follwoing thread http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35887).

All that the CCNA has done for me is that it has made subnetting very easy for me. In fact, I know it inside-out. So the first 3 or so chapters in the book were just a revision of some of the CCNA stuff.

Have two DC's and an XP client for the 291 and you should be well set.

Yeah, I had a bit of a flick through my CCNA/CCNP e-Book, read the first couple of chapters (while I was procrastinating the 290 icon_sad.gif) seems pretty intense. Subnetting has done my head in the last few times I've glanced at it.

Hmmm, might have to chuck that in with my 291 exam prep!!
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cjthedj45 wrote:
    I took the 70-290 today passed with 942 which I'm over the moon about. Especially as I took the 70-270 and barely scraped through. Personally I found the 70-290 easier than the 70-270. I think this maybe attributed to the fact that I have gained a lot more hands on experience through my new job. I work at a brand new site so this has given me the opportunity to implement some of the things I have learned I.E Shadow copies and I also set up some performace alerts etc. Although this was only temporary until we installed MOM.

What I Used to Pass 70-290

70-290 Sybex book
    70-290 exam cram

Congrats how much time did you have to complete the exams and how many questions and how many SIMS?

Thanks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    congratulations, great score!!

Best of luck on the 291!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have an older Transcender 70-290, but I'm not sure how old or relevent it is anymore.

What version did you use? And did you find it helped out?
  • Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I hope I can do as well when I take 290 next month.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!