Options

First IT Field Interview

BullRatBullRat Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Oh man!

I applied for a PC Tech entry level position at a local Credit Union.

I am working on my A+ and have no formal training or experience as a PC Tech.

I have been building my own computers for 10 years or so, and feel confident in troubleshooting issues on my/family/friends computers.

It clearly states on my application and resume that I have no training or certs yet I still have an interview. I did put that I am attending a tech school and pursuing A+.

I have no idea what to expect and am very nervous.

Any advice would be great.

Wish me luck!!

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Dress sharp and stay calm. Answer all of their questions honestly. If you don't know an answer tell them and then go on to how you would find out the answer. Have a few success stories ready and spin a good yarn about them. Sit up straight. Look them in the eye. SMILE!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    BullRat wrote:
    It clearly states on my application and resume that I have no training or certs yet I still have an interview. I did put that I am attending a tech school and pursuing A+.

Instead of saying what you don't have, say what you DO have: 10 years of experience working in your off-time on computer hardware and troubleshooting.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Most of all, just relax. It took me 3 yrs. to land my first IT job. It's a long damn road, but we all travel it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Most questions will probably involve what you've done in your 10 years of experience. I would make a list of problems that you've solved and review them. You can use them as concrete examples of your expertise. Don't bring the list with you, but make sure you can come up with examples. The other thing interviewers like to hear is your commitment to customer service. You might have examples of that as well.
    Most inexperienced interviewers (most of them qualify as that) ask silly questions like "What is you greatest strength" or "What is your biggest weakness." Prepare an answer that is honest but still sounds professional. Show confidence in your ability without seeming cocky.
    Feel free to ask questions (e.g. what comprises most of your pc problems?, how big is your IT staff/infrastructure?, do non-IT employees receive any computer training?, etc.).
    Good luck.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    now that you got your A+, get your Net+ out of the way.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips.

Here is the actual job description...

This is an ENTRY LEVEL position which offers an opportunity to experience configuring, installing and troubleshooting PCs and peripherals in a professional office environment.

The interview is tomorrow and I will let you all know how it goes.
  • Options
    Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought.

The interview was with the VP of IT for the credit union, who was taxd for time due to an audit, so most of the interview was done by someone else.

Before the VP left he did ask a few basic questions about my job history and skills. ALso asked if there was anything on my credit history that I though he should know of ahead of time, I dont have perfect credit and told him about a 2 year old bankruptcy. Well see if that is an issue or not.

We talked about my customer service background, practical experience, and goals for the future. They saw that I was still in school and pursuing my A+ cert, and seemed impressed with my answers on the whole.

I asked a few questions about the size of the IT Dept, if I would be the only Tech, room for advancement. etc.

The interviewer asked for the best way to get in contact with me and said that he would definitely be in touch.

I was happy to hear they that have a learning type of environment, the interviewer used the word nurturing", so we will see how my lack of experience is played out.

Hopefully I will heab back after the BG check and Credit Check.

/crossed fingers
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    glad to hear it went well, hopefully you will post back with a job offer! :D
    WIP: IPS exam