Options

BSCI rematch scheduled

miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
Booked the free second chance offer for Friday morning 7/11.
I feel much better prepared than the first attempt, but still not quite sure.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! What areas did you have problems with the first time around if you don't mind me asking.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miller811 wrote:

miller811,

Maybe if you buy a Slurpee that day might help. :)
  • Options
    Good luck! What areas did you have problems with the first time around if you don't mind me asking.
    In my opinion I struggled with the complexity of the exam. I ran out of time and was not prepared for the depth of the questions. I felt prepared, but used the exam certification book as my main resource.
    I have since purchased the self study guide, the lab guide, used a lot of dynamips, The amount of material to remember is a bit overwhelming. I do not use this stuff at work, so it is all new to me. I expected something similar to the CCNA, lots of memorization etc... It was a rude awakening. I guess that is why they call it a professional level exam icon_rolleyes.gif

• Options
    miller811 wrote:

miller811,

If I pass, I will be buying a few lotto tickets with the slurpee.

• Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    miller811 wrote:
    miller811 wrote:

miller811,

Mine's booked for 23 this month. How did you do on the practice questions that are on the certification guide CD. How do you think the exam questions stack up against those.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:
    In my opinion I struggled with the complexity of the exam. I ran out of time and was not prepared for the depth of the questions. I felt prepared, but used the exam certification book as my main resource.
    I have since purchased the self study guide, the lab guide, used a lot of dynamips, The amount of material to remember is a bit overwhelming. I do not use this stuff at work, so it is all new to me. I expected something similar to the CCNA, lots of memorization etc... It was a rude awakening. I guess that is why they call it a professional level exam icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, they do go quite a bit more in depth and asks questions quite a bit differently. Usually in a manner that you have to know or have something memorized to that you would even be able to start working your way through the problem. I think the questions they ask and the way they ask them is to show that you can apply what you know and work through the problem with that knowledge instead of just recite something out of the book. I think they do a very good job at it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Writ memorization got me through the BSCI portion of the composite. You just have to know how the protocols work at a fundamental level.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Good luck miller I'm sure you will nail it.

Do you take hand notes while reading? I find that helps me with my recall.... :) It's worked well for all my exams so far... although stopping and writing hand notes extends the reading time.... ;p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    skelt11skelt11 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:

Good luck to you. I failed mine by 13 points two weeks ago. I'm testing Sat so hopefully I'll do better.
  • Options
    singh8281 wrote:
    miller811 wrote:
    miller811 wrote:

miller811,

Mine's booked for 23 this month. How did you do on the practice questions that are on the certification guide CD. How do you think the exam questions stack up against those.

I felt very confident after going through the quesitons in the certification guide. The questions on the exam made those look like 3 grade math.

• Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote:
    I expected something similar to the CCNA, lots of memorization etc... It was a rude awakening. I guess that is why they call it a professional level exam icon_rolleyes.gif

There is always an element of memorization involved but with this exam and others in the track practical application is certainly essential.

Good luck on 7/11, it should be a lucky date anyway. icon_wink.gif:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Go GET THEM!!!!
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck miller!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How'd you do?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!