Options

CCNA EXAM & SDM

ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone

Could you please tell if i do not cover SDM for my CCNA preparation does it make any difference ?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Manglian wrote:
    Could you please tell if i do not cover SDM for my CCNA preparation does it make any difference ?
    It probably makes a BIG difference.

You'd probably have to study everything else in the exam blueprint and get 100% on those topics to stand a chance of blowing off SDM and still passing -- depending on your "luck of the draw" of questions out of the exam pool.

If you don't have a router that supports SDM to practice on, why wouldn't you at least spend some time studying the documentation and the SDM demo?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote:

If you don't have a router that supports SDM to practice on, why wouldn't you at least spend some time studying the documentation and the SDM demo?

This is sound advice. I didn't have any Cisco AP's for the wireless portion of the ccnp exams so I just studied the product documentation and did well.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    My advice is to watch the CBT Nuggets also. They go over some configurations using SDM.
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    Just install a loopback interface on your machine (windows) or connect dynamips to a actual network. Install SDM on a windows pc and enjoy playing with it. Quite easy to set up.
  • Options
    basim007basim007 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i tried the way showed in blindhog to create MS-loopback, but the "Network device list.bat " just only show this message:
    Network adapters on this machine:

The system cannot find the path specified.

Use as follows:
    F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{...}

Press any key to continue . . .

so what am i missing here to setup SDM with gns3 ? pls help .............
    MCP,MCSA,MCSE,--->CCNA
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without GNS3 I've got a Network device list.cmd file in my dynamips directory. The shortcut on the desktop says to execute it in the dynamips directory.

Looking at the cmd file -- it executes the dynamips -e command and pretties it up so that you can cut and paste into net files. If it can't find the dynamips command, you might get the "usage message" you posted.

It's been a while since I read the Dynagen tutorial -- but their trick was to shut down all the interfaces except for the one you wanted to configure in a Dynagen net file, and then run the command file. Is the loopback or any other interface active?

I gave up on GNS3 -- too slow, system resource hog, and too much time wasted trying to figure out how to accomplish what I was already doing with just Dynamips and Dynagen (and notepad).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!