Options

Local User Accounts

banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
Hello,

I installed the Server 2003, Standard Edition on my PC and configured it as a DHCP Server.
I tried to create Local User Accounts with blank passwords just for practicing a bit but with no success. In computer Management/Systen Tools should be Local Users and Groups/Users but there are not. Does it have anything to do with the lack of Admin Tools Pack on my PC?
As I know, I won't be able to create Domain User Accounts with blank passwords. Am I right?[/b]

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it a DC as well? DCs don't have local accounts.

You can edit the password policy in the local or domain security policy if it's saying blank passwords aren't allowed. I think they are allowed by default for local accounts, but they're not allowed by default for domain accounts. They might not be allowed for local accounts as soon as you join it to a domain though; I can't remember.

Are you just not seeing the shortcut for local users and groups? Just do start > run > mmc and load it manually. You can then save the console if you need to access it regularly.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

What does DC stand for?

Are you just not seeing the shortcut for local users and groups?
    No, there is no node for this.

Just do start > run > mmc and load it manually. You can then save the console if you need to access it regularly.
    I did load it manually, still no option to do my job...
  • Options
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Are you trying to simply create users or are you not able to create users with blank passwords?

Is this machine also a DC? If not, is it joined to a domain?

You'll need to disable the require password complexity setting if it is enabled.

Start > admin tools > local security policy > account policies > password policy

If it's joined to a domain, just change that setting in the domain security policy instead of the local security policy.

Edit: Be aware of this if you're trying to access it over the network: http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/10471.html
  • Options
    I am trying to create Local User Accounts (with blank passwords). In computer Management/Systen Tools should be Local Users and Groups/Users node but there is not.
    I installed Admin Tools Pack and run MMC, added Computer Management but still no way of creating Local User Accounts (either with passwords or blank passwords). I do not understand what you mean by DC?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He means Domain controller. If you right click on My computer and select manage from the drop down menu the Computer Management console will appear. What you want is Computer Management/System tools/Local Users and Groups. That will be there if the Server is a standalone server or joined to the domain but not if it is a Domain Controller. If the Server is a DC then you will want to create user accounts in Active Directory Users and Computers.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    DC = domain controller.

Try adding the local users and groups snap-in instead of the Computer Management snap-in.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    DC = domain controller.

Try adding the local users and groups snap-in instead of the Computer Management snap-in.
    Yes, it is DC.
    I does not let me add the local users and groups snap-in on DC. There must be a way of doing it, though.
    Thanks a lot for helping me with this.
  • Options
    sthomas wrote:
    He means Domain controller. If you right click on My computer and select manage from the drop down menu the Computer Management console will appear. What you want is Computer Management/System tools/Local Users and Groups. That will be there if the Server is a standalone server or joined to the domain but not if it is a Domain Controller. If the Server is a DC then you will want to create user accounts in Active Directory Users and Computers.

How can I make my PC standalone server instead of DC?
  • Options
    start > run > dcpromo and choose to demote it.

Otherwise, just use activity directory users and computers in administrative tools to add users. Is there a reason you need to use local accounts instead of domain accounts?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    start > run > dcpromo and choose to demote it.

Otherwise, just use activity directory users and computers in administrative tools to add users. Is there a reason you need to use local accounts instead of domain accounts?

No, not really. I tried to create Domain User Accounts with blank passwords and I could not to it (no option).
    I know that you advised me to configure Password Policy so I will give it a try.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    sthomas wrote:

How can I make my PC standalone server instead of DC?

It's already a standalone server if you didn't managed to promote it as a DC.

Kindly elaborate what you want to accomplish so we can help you.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    If the server is a DC then as previously advised you cannot create local accounts. You will be unable to create accounts with blank passwords due to the default domain policy which doesn't allow blank passwords, you will need to edit the policy if you want to create a user with a blank password.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Just an FYI. The DSRM account is actually the local administrator account that is hidden. So the SAM database does still exist and contains the DSRM account but is not used for providing other local account access to that DC.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Whoops. I guess I should have worded that better. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote: »

After I create a user in dc, what's the Profile Path for it, cuz now it is blank and I can't login using that account.
    Thank you