Options

Phone Interview

jcblesterjcblester Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a phone interview setup for Friday and it will be my first phone interview I've ever had. Is there anything advice that you all can give to help me make it a successful job interview?
Somtimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the widshield.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just relax. Try not to talk too fast or too softly.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31259

Type softly, so can't tell you're using Google to look up answers ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Dress good, it will make you feel more professional. Don't forget to smile, they can hear it over the phone. If you are a pacer make sure you don't pace too fast. Don't type on the computer while on the phone. Relax and keep it friendly.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had lots of these and can't stand them. I usually stand at a window and stare outside while talking. I definitely prefer being in person, it is so much easier for me to sell myself that way. I think it comes from being able to see people's reactions and act accordingly.

I would just make sure you don't have any possible distractions that could come up like other phones ringing or people coming into the room and trying to start talking to you.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like to keep it simple. Don't get too chatty or talk too fast. I like the idea from the other poster to look out of the window. I don't like phone interviews either. I like the eye contact to get a feel for how it is going.

Good Luck with the interview.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    Just a few tips to remember: (some have already been mentioned)

Dress up as you would if you were going for a face to face interview

Have a copy of your resume infront of you, so that you can refer back to it.

Have a print out of the job description handy.

If using a cordless phone, make sure it is charged, don't want the phone dying on you in the middle of the call.

If you can, conduct the interview when no one else is home, less distractions.

Turn off anything that might cause a noisy background. TV, cell phone, computer. etc.

lastly, be polite & SMILE.

Hope this helps.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security