Options

Anyone Ever Used New Horizons Testing Center

Has anyone ever used one of these center for training or taking a certification? Here is their website:
http://www.newhorizons.com

I am curious because it looks like our business is working on a possible large grant to do training through this company. It also looks like I may get to submit a budget to take any CompTIA, Microsoft, or Cisco class and test I want. I just want to see if anyone else has any experience with this company testing or training wise.

Comments

• Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    I have sat a couple of MCP exams at one in Edinburgh, Scotland. Found them to be an excellent test centre and would recommend.
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Unfortunatly, I must disagree with mikiemov. I scheduled my first A+ exams with a local New Horizons center. When I arrived, I had to wait over an hour, because, "we're not ready for you yet." After an additional 45 minutes, I was told, "The server is down, and we can not administer any tests today." Okay, so I can reschedule, right? Sure. But not there. After I passed the exams at a local Prometric center, I looked at my Comptia record. It shows two "no-shows" for the exams. I called Prometric, and was told they couldn't change what the testing center had reported. New Horizons claims they have no idea what I'm taking about. Usually, this wouldn't bother me, but when informed that viewing the record at an interview, actually affected the employers decision against me, I was pretty ticked off. Maybe he was being a bit picky, but still. That was over a year ago now, and could have been a door to a career. Instead, I'm still fighting to get into IT. I'm doing field service now, which is crap, boring, and frustrating. For me, I go to either the local Prometric office, or to my old school.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Dumb question since I just passed my first CompTIA exam last Friday and just got my information into their system, but that status page you can email to people to show what certs you have shows your "no shows" if you have any? Does it also show any fails or am I misunderstanding what the possible employer looked at?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Ok, quick clarification. Maybe I'm just being picky. When you authorize Comptia to send your credentials, the recipient only receives a report which shows your currently held certifications. It does not show fails, or "no-shows". During my interview, tha service that provides the copies, was unavailable. I had to show my full history, which does list fails, and "no-shows". Okay, so not everyone will have this problem, and no, New Horizons is not responsible for there being no jobs, but to me, it's a principle. I tried multiple times to have it changed, but they kept denying any knowledge, even when I showed a print-out of the history report to local office. For me, from them, no professionalism, at all.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with them....from classes to testing, they're were all good.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company is currently sending my staff to new horizons for training. My boss attended two weeks of training in Manhattan a month ago and know he's sending us one by one for training. My number will be called during the summer.

I have heard that New Horizons is a great place for training and it also has a good reputation.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Every training center can be different. Find people that have gone to the center you are looking at and see what they think.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    imeldesignimeldesign Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some centers are franchises so they can differ greatly....I sat in on a A+ class to see if I wanted to train there and not one of the people in the class had ever USED a computer before and they were there to learn to repair them. They did have a hands on lab but didn't use it while I was there. The instructor for this class did not impress me and I passed on their training.....they closed about three months later with no warning taking $$$$ and leaving students stranded...
    Definitely check their stability before giving them $$$.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I tested at New Horizons, I was in and out like a robbery. :D
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    I've taken my A+ and Net+ tests there, and they seem to be allright for that. They were very accomodating when I took my A+ test. I don't think I'd spend any money taking a class there, but I tend to think classes are a waste of money for most certifications. Just get yourself a good book and some old computers, and set up a mini-lab.
  • Options
    samb39samb39 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the first two Windows 2000 MCSE classes at New Horizons in downtown San Francisco in Summer 2003 and I was very happy. The facilities were excellent and the teachers were very knowledgable and helpful.

I did not take tests there -- they no longer do testing at that location. But I took the tests at Heald and passed them with no problems.
  • Options
    dam0sdam0s Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have obtained Master CIW Designer status testing at New Horizons and highly recommend them.
  • Options
    rstarrettrstarrett Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I obtained my A+ and Network+ certifications at the local New Horizons Office. It was a very good experience. As soon as I arrived there I was taking back for my tests. I'm currently working towards my MCSA certifications and have my exams scheduled at the same testing center.
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been to two seperate new horizons in different cities and both have been good.

I could expect the chance that a couple are bad - it all really depends on the staff. If they get a bunch of slappies scheduling things, it could be a PITA.

Best bet it to maybe checkout the facility on a suprise visit. See how things are and if there is a big waiting list, dirty environment, crappy computers, etc.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure if I'd pay for it though. I've never paid for it.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    drunken_smilie.gif Eight and 1/2 years to reply to a thread drunken_smilie.gif
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Holy cow! Well..you know..some people don't check TE every day...just every 9 years ;)
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    ...just every 9 years ;)

lol. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe tahjzhuan has been REALLY busy.