Print Server

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently purchase a used HP 4300 with jetdirect, any idea what is the latest free print server package microsoft has for windows server 03? I want to play God with my home printer :P

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you're looking for. Windows Server 2003 has built in print server functionality. Is there some additional capabilities you are wanting to make use of?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Every version of Windows since NT had some sort of print server functionality built into it...
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you're looking for. Windows Server 2003 has built in print server functionality. Is there some additional capabilities you are wanting to make use of?

I'm aware of the built in under appwiz.cpl\components, but I'm just wondering if there is a new package out there that Microsoft released for print server management.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    wasnt jet direct a Novell thing?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jet Direct is a NIC card slapped in the printer that has TCP/IP | IPX/SPX, forgot d other supported network protocols...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

I'm aware of the built in under appwiz.cpl\components, but I'm just wondering if there is a new package out there that Microsoft released for print server management.
    If you have Windows Server 2003 R2 the Print Management Console has been added. Here is a walk-through:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Managing-Printers-Windows-Server-2003-R2.html
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everything MS has is built in. Like they said above, if you have 2003 R2 you get a better management console. If you just have one printer it's probably not worth the trouble.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like everyone else said....

To manage the print device with the jet direct card using a print queue, when you install the printer you want to add it as a local printer (but don't let Windows automatically detect it) and then select the bottom option for Create a new port, select TCP/IP, then on the next screen pop in the IP Address (it will add an "_" underscore character automatically) and the on the next screen you will actually give it the name you want to share it out as.

Then it will look like you're done, but suddenly the printer drivers screen will appear, scroll to select HP on the left and find the model on the right. Follow the prompts and you're done.

If you already knew all that forgive the basic tutorial. By the way your question was worded it sounded to me like you weren't familiar with setting up a TCP/IP print queue.
    All things are possible, only believe.