Options

Looking forward to this interview

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
Well I guess so far I've done everything right, I will have an interview this Wednesday for my first real network/system administrator job. I've done so much research on the organization, my interviewer, and what they are using i'm sick of it. I'll leave it alone for the weekend and hit it one more time before the interview next week. We shall see.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good Luck!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck, I'm sure your preparation will show during the interview, just be sure to ask questions.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Good luck! Good job on the researching the company as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    how would you guys bring up paying off tuition assistance from my old employer? and when? after the job is offered or at the end me the interview ?
  • Options
    At the end when the job is offered. Because then they will go to greater lengths to keep you.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    At the end when the job is offered. Because then they will go to greater lengths to keep you.

Very wise point. Think I should offer the fact that it would not be a deal breaker if they won't do it or just let it ride?
  • Options
    When they make a job offer ask for some time to consider it, a day or so is what I would do though some recommend a week or longer. Then if the job is what you are interested in then contact them and tell them how excited you are about the job but you are wondering if they would be able to do something taking care of the tuition assistance from the previous employer. Also bring up anything else you would like to bring up like the schedule or the amount of vacation/sick days. I recommend doing a few google searches on salary negotiation. There's a lot of very useful info out there.
  • Options
    The place I am interviewing show's their "Master Technology Plan" on their website. I downloaded the PDF and have been going over it, should I wait for the,"what do you know about us"? Or should I just jump in there and start laying down facts about what they want to do and what I know about it. I've never wanted a job this bad before, I don't want to be to awkward in the interview, well I don't want to seem desperate.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Ok my interview is Wednesday and until yesterday I was good to go, very confident. Then yesterday I started getting the jitters, second guessing myself I have done a ton of research on the company and what i need to know, but I am worried about tech questions he might ask I been brushing up on them but I think I am a little rusty, I have the book knowledge but not any enterprise knowledge. Any tips guys?
  • Options
    Well I relaxed and thing went great, I have a good feeling I got the position.

Now the question, nice stationary and print off the thank you cards, or hand written? I ask because my hand writing leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Awesome job on the interview! We're here pulling for you.

I'd recommend printing out the thank you card and signing it by hand. Don't forget to put in some details from the interview so that they will know it is not just a standard thank you template.
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate that, he said he may do a second round of interviews but probably not. I forgot to ask the one question I really meant to which was :

"What are you main concerns, if any about hiring me"?

So I might try to work it into the Thank you note.
  • Options
    On top of sending thank you cards what do you guys think about sending a quick thank you email, just to kind of say hey good jobs way to be thanks again. Then in a few days they get their thank you letter.

Overkill?

Thanks
  • Options
    Well dropped off the letters, the guy said I would know something this week for sure so I will keep you guys posted, I am on leave this week so it would be great to just start my new job this week. Thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    I sent a thank you email, I got the job (also while on leave). Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    Well I got a call this morning asking if I would be interested in coming to work for the district, i said definitely! I went in and we talked salary, they offered me a number and I asked for 3 thousand more a year, They said they didn't know if they could swing it they would have to talk to the superintendent I should know something tomorrow. Has anyone ever not given someone a job because they tried to negotiate for more money? I didn't think asking for a few thousand more a year was that big a deal but the Hr lady acted like I was asking her to give me a $100.00 an hour.
  • Options
    I recommend looking into salary negotiation. Do a few google searches. Generally what is recommend is not to name numbers, but to generally just ask if there is anything they can do to bring up the number because it is a bit lower than you were expecting. Don't forget to talk them up a bit as well on how you are excited about the job and how happy you are to receive the offer. Also when an offer is made get everything in writing from them and ask for some time to review it. Then you go back and try negotiating after having made them sit for a bit.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't think asking for a few more thousand a year would hurt too much. There may be a cap for the position though. If they can't raise the starting salary ask about performance reviews and raises.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Did not get as much money as I had hoped for but they made up for it with some other perks like an extra 23 or so days off a year. Plus guaranteed raises every year, I figure getting my foot in the door and not having to start off at the help desk and being an actual system admin is well worth not getting a few thousand more a year. Plus i get my own office :)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Did not get as much money as I had hoped for but they made up for it with some other perks like an extra 23 or so days off a year. Plus guaranteed raises every year, I figure getting my foot in the door and not having to start off at the help desk and being an actual system admin is well worth not getting a few thousand more a year. Plus i get my own office :)

allow me to be the first to congratulate you!!! Sounds like a great springboard and opportunity!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Well I got a call this morning asking if I would be interested in coming to work for the district, i said definitely!

Congratulations!!! I hope everything works out for you and you get to really love what you are doing. Keep us posted icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Congratulations! Good thing that worked out for you! Those extra days will be worth their weight in gold too. Don't forget to get it all in writing.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the job offer!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats hard work paid off!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and all the help through the process. Let me just say to anyone reading this. It is absolutely worth doing your homework on the company, I probably worked for 2 weeks before the interview finding out what their plans were and what direction they were moving, what kind of OS they use and not only that the guy interviewing me had an impossible name to pronounce so I had to call and get someone to tell me how its said so when i met him I would get it right. And he noticed. So all of you looking for jobs remember,do your homework, dress to impress, and send a thank you letter.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great advise!!!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, great story! glad to see the work paid off!

You'll have to let us know how the position goes
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    CONGRATS

Enjoy the office too, I'm still waiting on mine. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Job.... I agree with you that you should research the company before hand. I like that they offered other perks to compensate for their not meeting your initial salary request. Enjoy the office, I miss mine...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    Yea should be cool so long as my office doesn't end up being a broom closet, and I can secure it. I won't get to check it out until Thursday but I am excited anyway. Again thank you to all of you for all your help, I'll keep letting you know how things go.