Options

Books for CCNA 802

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wussup Networkers!!! Just want to say hellom I'm standing on a very unfamiliar ground.

What complete reference books do you guys recommend fo 802?

I currently have 2610 and 2620, what kind of switch would you guys recommend?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201836

It includes 2 books (CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd ed., and CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd ed.) and Boson practice tests for both.

As for a switch, pickup a Catalyst 2950 and that should be good enough.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    well for being a microsoft guy astorrs did alright with the suggestions i guess icon_wink.gif

but honestly cisco press is always the way to go, I'd also recommend www.thebryantadvantage.com I used both for my CCNA along with my lab and it worked out very well.
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    well for being a microsoft guy astorrs did alright with the suggestions i guess icon_wink.gif
    Now, now, I've been buying CCNA (and other) certification guides from Cisco Press since 2000, just because I've never actually written the exam... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    astorrs wrote:
    shednik wrote:
    Now, now, I've been buying CCNA (and other) certification guides from Cisco Press since 2000, just because I've never actually written the exam... icon_redface.gif
    I'm right there with ya. I opened an old notebook the other day and the 1st time I went for a cisco seminar was 2001.

Now I got 2 kids, and extra 50 lbs and feel old! argh!!!!!!!! and I still have my 640-507 lammle book!

lol.

Have a great weekend!
    G.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    I watched Thebryantadvantage Trainsignal, I'll just get both of them Cisco and Thebryantadvantage, The more the merrier...
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    shednik wrote:

Excuses...excuses :D
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    shednik wrote:

So when is Cisco going to be on your exam hitlist icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    The 2950 switch can really benefit me, I am running out of ports on my home standard switch, gigabit would have been nice thought, but they might be pricey...
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    So when is Cisco going to be on your exam hitlist icon_wink.gif
    I'm thinking about using Sep/Oct to do CCNA (take advantage of the second chance and all). But I have a few things to wrap up before I can begin.
  • Options
    Any idea where cna I hustle this "The Ultimate CCNA Study Package" it costs almost 200 $...
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    astorrs wrote:
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201836

It includes 2 books (CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd ed., and CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide, 2nd ed.) and Boson practice tests for both.

As for a switch, pickup a Catalyst 2950 and that should be good enough.
    +10 on this suggestion. icon_lol.gif

I've used the Odom materials as my primary study sources. They are written in a manner that is very easy to digest and filled with all the information you need to pass the test. Of course I supplemented my studies with other materials but looking back, If I had only used these books solely, I still would have passed because there was nothing on the tests that I took that wasn't covered in the books. In fact, I'm kinda missing that style of organization and format that Odom used in his teaching style. I got so used to it the last 6 months that it's harder to adjust on the current BSCI book I'm studying off of.

To be fair I also see Todd Lammle's CCNA book being discussed a lot. I bought that book as a result. I didn't use it that much though. My suggestion is stick with one primary study source and get a supplementary source just for double checking or supplementing what you are a little unclear about. The DocCD is a great resource for that... as is Todd Lammle's book. If you choose to go with the Todd Lammle book, use the DocCD as a supplementary. I found that mixing Lammle and Odom is not quite as effective. There is a thread here that discuss the difference between the two and the general feeling is that those who used Odom first liked it better, and vice versa.

As far as the switch goes, I have 4 (3 x 2950s and 1 x 2924) I used the 3 x 2950s a lot and never used the 2924. However 1 2950 should be enough, 2 is better of course. For routers, I have 6. But since discovering dynamips early on in my studies, I barely fired up the physical routers[/url]
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    jbaello wrote:
    Any idea where cna I hustle this "The Ultimate CCNA Study Package" it costs almost 200 $...

are you sure. I think I paid $80 or so.

P.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    For the Ultimate CCNA Study Package without rack time for only $67 - just click this button!

For the Ultimate CCNA Study Package with three days' rack time for practice on REAL Cisco routers and switches for only an additional $30, click here!

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/UltimateCCNAStudyPackage.html

:D
  • Options
    Not bad, considering I get 7 free ebooks, and an exam prep.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like Chris a lot. I have his CCNA material from both his site and his Train Signal CBTs. He's personally responded to a few questions I've had (i.e. I never used your material for the old exams, can I get a discount on the new material? Yes, he gave it to me for free).
  • Options
    I should shoot him an email :P lol... I'll just probably get all his material for 802, I still have to study for my design 297...