Options

Is this exam harder than 70-270?

FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if this test is harder or easier than 270. I just started studying. I'm using the MSpress book, CBT nuggets, and the tech notes from this site. Do you think I will be able to be ready to sit for the exam in 4-5 weeks? I'd like to take the exam before I start my senior year of high school.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I found it to be about the same as 70-270 as far as difficulty goes. Some of it is the same like NTFS permissions, so you got that going for you. However, if you don't have any experience with 2003 server it may be a bit more difficult. 4-5 weeks is defiantly do-able if you can for sure put in a few hours a day studying.

Good job on working on your certs at such a young age, I wish I would have started earlier.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From my experience the preparation for this exam was harder and longer than it was for 70-270, and I also found the exam to be tougher and longer to complete. There were lots more sims too, so make sure you get in plenty of lab work if you don't use S2003 on a regular basis.

As NetAdmin2436 said, you have to know share/NTFS permissions for this exam, and I got a lot of questions on group types and group scopes too, as well as IIS and managing printers, but you might get a different exam altogether.

If you go into this exam with the same level of prep required to pass 70-270, than you will pass it no problem - good luck.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found taking the 70-290 exam was much easier than 70-270. I would atrribute this to the fact that 70-270 covers a lot of material in the 70-290 so there is a lot of overlap. I just about passed the 70-270 but I absolutley nailed the 70-290. I'm sure if you study for the 70-270 and then go straight into 70-290 then you would have a good job of passing.

I was quite concerend about the sims becuase a lot of people have said how hard they can be and that no practice exams I have seen cover them. However I found the sims very easy becuase this is the sort of things I do in my day to day job.

I have just started studying for the 70-291 and some of the material is very new to me so I think I will spend longer studing for this one. If you have any other questions around the 70-290 feel free to ask.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm with cjthedj45 on this, I found the 290 to be the easiest Microsoft exam while I think that 270 was the most difficult Microsoft exam. If you make sure to do labs on all of the topics then you should have no difficulties with the sims. Make sure you understand performance monitoring, back-ups, and permissions all of which you would already know from the 270. Then it is just a matter of knowing how to create user accounts in Active Directory and OUs and some simple Group Policy. All stuff that is pretty easy to pick up compared to really understanding permissions and back-ups.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/