Options

Aging and scavenging timestamps...

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hello,

one question on Aging and Scavenging:

No-refresh interval and Refresh interval, are reset when a timestamp is done over a RR?

Then each RR has its own countdown, I think.

I think Yes but not sure 100%.
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Each record has a timestamp so yes each record has its own lifetime (or countdown as you stated it).
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    Many thanks man! I have one other question on "Scavenging", but it's too late, tomorrow I'll make.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    One note that I should add, as I'm sure someone will call me on it, is that manually entered records do not have timestamps.

If you think about it it makes sense because manually entered computers might not know the record is there and wouldn't know to update the timestamp so most manually entered records would be scavenged out.

If you look at a manually entered record you'll notice that the timestamp field is blank.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    If you look at a manually entered record you'll notice that the timestamp field is blank.
    OK.

Other (one of various I would have) question is:

enabling Aging settings: "No refresh" and "Refresh interval" at both server and zone level, is enough to happen scavenging of stale records for the zone?

Or it need to have enabled also "Automatic scavenging on stale records" setting in Server properties?

And the subsequesnt question is:

because now we have (necessarily) four settings (equal in couples) for "No refresh interval" and "Refresh interval" appliable at zones, which have the priority? Is not so a stupid question I think, because the need to enable the same settings at Server and level zone is inexplicable for me.

Tried to answer this and other questions here, but not found them really.

This topic sucks for me.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    You can turn on or off scavenging at the zone level or turn it on/off for all zones by the settings at the server level. Once you have it on, though, it doesn't actually scavenge the records until you do it manually by right-clicking at the server and clicking "scavenge records" or set the options in the server properties to do it automatically every so many days.
  • Options
    Thaks man, You have been of great help for me; I have spent all this morning making labs and I can say finally that the "No-refresh interval" and "Refresh interval" settings on the server level are just like "advises" when You create new zones, but those settings at the zone level take always precedence.
    However if You don't enable the Aging/scavenging Properties on both level, Scavenging is not effective.

Thx much, I suggest You to prepare this one if You are able to answer these types of questions. icon_wink.gif

EDIT: read now that You are MCP yet.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music