Name Your Domain

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Anyone know of any good resources in naming your domain? Up until now I have kept it simple.

"sybex" was my last one and "kahn.local" before that. The guys at itdiots.com added "ad" to the front. What would be the logic on that?

e.g. ad.sanjose.local

Any other conventions I should know?
-Daniel

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They probably added "ad" in front to give them a subdomain. Just like, uk.yahoo.com, au.yahoo.com and the like. Mine is the ubiquitous contoso.com.

You can give it any name I guess, provided it's not been taken by someone already that's if you connect to the public internet.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I always stick with <publicinternetdomain>.local for all my clients, so if their company domain name on the internet is ford.com their internal domain is ford.local. Keeps it simpler for everyone.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Oops, seems my answer was a bit out of whack. Andrew's right.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like naming them with .ds. Makes it faster to type and easy to remember.

so

ford.ds

stands for directory services
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    I like naming them with .ds. Makes it faster to type and easy to remember.

so

ford.ds

stands for directory services

Same here.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just remember that Macs use .local for some of their services, and that might cause some problems until you adjust for that. You can change the settings on the Macs, but it might be better to just go with something else if you have a lot of them.

Personally, I make AD a child domain of our registered domain. ad.<domain name>.com
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Just remember that Macs use .local for some of their services, and that might cause some problems until you adjust for that. You can change the settings on the Macs, but it might be better to just go with something else if you have a lot of them.

Personally, I make AD a child domain of our registered domain. ad.<domain name>.com
    Don't get me started on stupid Apple adopting that one (they did it after .local was agreed to as a "quasi" approved TLD)...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, sounds like ad.mydomain.XXX is the standard. I should probably stick with that? Any other popular conventions I am likely to see?

Oh! And thanks for the Mac hint.
    -Daniel
    Oh, I missed your, "What's the logic..?" question earlier.

You just don't want to use the same DNS namespace for both. You can use .com externally and .local (or whatever) internally, make your internal namespace start as a child of your registered name, etc. The main point to take away is that you want separate namespaces. Whatever convention you decide to go with is pretty much just personal preference.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Whatever convention you decide to go with is pretty much just personal preference.

Yeah, but my personal preference is always better than dynamik's. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So how would name resolution work in the case of using a subdomain of an internet registered domain name
    I.e if my root ad domain was ad.microsoft.com, would I set up a conditional forwarder to the dns servers from the microsoft.com zone, for any queries ti www.microsoft.com?

Thanks
    sprkymrk wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    Whatever convention you decide to go with is pretty much just personal preference.

That's why you're the moderator! icon_cool.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

That's why you're the moderator! icon_cool.gif

BTW, Moderator sir, care for some donuts? icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I always use .corp for internal.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I usually use .local or .priv for internal domains. Although, Technomancer and I used "drunken.admin" for our test-domain when we were going to school together. The teacher wouldn't let us use our first choices, so that was our compromise. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.