Options

Resume Question

wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
I just recently got hired for my first IT job as a Firedog tech. I'll be doing the regular Firedog duties, but I will also be doing a little sales and possibly a little phone support.

Just wondering how you would list that on a resume.

Comments

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Wheely,

Congrat's on the new position. It depends on what your future goals are? And gear your resume to the position you are apply for. Have an arsenal of resumes. And make it short and simply. Hiring manager's dont want to read 3 page resumes. I dont know how well sales skills are needed for a technical position.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Keep track of everything you work with both hardware and software. When it comes time to write your resume, it will be a little easier. I have been listing everything that I come in contact with since 2000 including vendors. I then tailor a resumes accouding to what I have done. the list also hepls me refresh my memory. icon_tongue.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Write down all the great technical things you do in a notebook. You should also be doing that too for your annual raises.

Remember that they are going to try and make you a sales person, fight it! Never hand off the hard techical problems. The problems you overcome today, may not go on your resume but they are great for review/interview conversations.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Remember that they are going to try and make you a sales person, fight it! Never hand off the hard techical problems. The problems you overcome today, may not go on your resume but they are great for review/interview conversations.

They will only allow you to do so much on the bench at Firedog, everything else must be shipped out. As for making you a sales person, it's apart of the job... They have percentages they must reach everyday for in-store and in-home work.

If you can not sell optimizations, software installations and other garbage to the mindless public Circuit City and Geeksquad will not keep you.

I work at Firedog and I do not consider it the entry-level IT job I thought it would be. You get to give out good information on your knowledge, but when it comes down to it the general public does not give a **** what you have to say. They just want you to fix their computer as cheap as possible.

I'm just glad I'm able to use Firedog as IT experience... icon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    jryantech wrote:
    but when it comes down to it the general public does not give a **** what you have to say. They just want you to fix their computer as cheap as possible.

QFT!