Just passed the 291...

OrvarOrvar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Very happy with a score of 731. Only had one simulation question (which was surprisingly easy) but the program froze about five times through but the proctor managed to get it up and running again every time. Didnt seem to lose that much time tho.
What was a bit more frustrating was that they have a cantine right next door and the door wasnt exactly soundproof which was extremely distracting. Anyway. I know you're not allowed to say much about the exam but i think its safe to say that anyone going for this exam should definately master dns before even thinking about booking it.

Now that i have MCSA im not sure if i should go and do an upgrade exam towards MCITP or all the way for MCSE. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCSE has amazing branding, finish it and then move on.
    -Daniel
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your pass!

It's definitely nice to get this test out of the way due to it's difficulty. I just got my MCSA 3 weeks ago and I'm going for MCSE. I think it's in the most demand right now and will be around for a while. Unless your company has 2008 servers, then you may want the newer certs.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • OrvarOrvar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see your point, there probably arent that many HR people out there that have even heard of MCITP, but just thinking about four more exams feels a bit daunting. I even feel tempted to go and do the Linux+ cert just to get a bit of a break from MS :)

Any suggestions on which one of the core design exams or elective exams to do? Im kind of leaning towards 298 and then 236 Exchange. Would a potential employer even look at that?
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I would go for the MCSE as well. You will still be learning about the technologies that will carry over to the new exam set. You can also go for the new ones once you finished the MCSE as well
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I hear you about maybe wanting a break from MS stuff, it does get a bit overwhelming at times. Remember, you have a long career ahead of you. It's not a sprint, so pace yourself. Personally, I would do 70-293 next since you just passed 70-291. 70-293 also has a lot of DNS, DHCP, RRAS and many of the other concepts in 70-291. So it would be in your best interest to do 293 while them concepts are still fresh in your memory.

But ultimately there is nothing wrong with doing exchange as an elective. Many employers indeed have exchange servers and would like that. If your going to do exchange, you might as well go for your MCSE:Messaging.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/messaging/windowsserver2003.mspx
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)