Sata drive during re-install

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey techies. Stumped on this one...

I've been given a PC that has a sata drive in it. I threw in an XP Pro disc and changed the bios to boot from cd first.

The xp load process is fine, right to the point where I get to select to either install XP, or repair an existing install.

When I select Install, I'm told that no harddrive is detected. Odd, considering that I can boot XP home from the C drive... I just can't install.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Check the bios and see if the sata drive is in raid/ahci mode etc. You may need to load drivers in order for the new XP cd to see the HDD. Your current loaded Windows on C allready has the correct drivers.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SWM wrote:
    You may need to load drivers in order for the new XP cd to see the HDD. Your current loaded Windows on C allready has the correct drivers.

Bingo, the motherboard probably came with a floppy just for that reason. when the install starts you will see it say press F6 for SCSI/RAID drivers on the bottom, press F6, put floppy in and press enter.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    SWM wrote:
    You may need to load drivers in order for the new XP cd to see the HDD. Your current loaded Windows on C allready has the correct drivers.

Bingo, the motherboard probably came with a floppy just for that reason. when the install starts you will see it say press F6 for SCSI/RAID drivers on the bottom, press F6, put floppy in and press enter.
    +1 on that, Windows XP doesn't come with SATA drivers. You can do the floppy-method, (despite the installer asking for "SCSI/RAID drivers,) or you can slipstream the appropriate drivers into the XP installer, if you're feeling adventurous.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't tell if I'm supposed to be +2 or +3...

Also, the reason you can boot to the installed OS on the drive is simply because it has already had the drivers installed.

No need to feel adventurous for slipping streaming, just check out nLite. Piece of cake.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    But everyone should enjoy the experience of slipstreaming a service pack at least once in their life!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Figures... I slipped SP3 into the image using nlite, but forgot to even consider the drivers.

Thanks guys... I'll chase the owner of the pc for the drivers.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Just pop open the system, check what drive it is and download the drivers yourself.

Add them to the SP3 slipstream and your good to go =)

I believe its usually F6 to install the SATA drivers during setup.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    Just pop open the system, check what drive it is and download the drivers yourself.

It's not the drives he would be looking at... It would be the controller.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, use CPU-Z or pop the case open to figure out which mobo you have, and download the drivers from the manufacturer.