Options

The trust Tree...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Ok, so I am working for a company as a Systems Administrator... We are going to be taking over another companies AD environment and they do not have a 2 way trust setup.

IE: I am currently part of .com and we are taking over the .corp domain.

If I am logged onto my computer part of the .com I dont have .corp in the list of domains to logon locally because we do not have the trust currently to do so. Anyhow, so to get on the .corp I have to join my computer to the domain. So I have access everything goes well. I am now on the .corp domain. Now I cant join my pc back to the .com domain and get where I was. I already technically added my computer to the domain on .com because I was working on it. I am assuming I am going to have to have someone with rights remove my pc from the .com and have me re-add it to the .com again so I can access all of the other domains in that tree in the future.

Comments

• Options
    So, I think I have a solution.../workaround.

I am going to create a virtual machine to connect to the .corp domain and use my computer for the .com

What a nightmare...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can't an Admin add the trust in AD Domains and Trusts? Or are they unwilling to do so? If you open the AD Domains and Trusts MMC and select "Help" all the checklists are there on how to do a forest trust.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Heh, they dont want to. Not yet anyhow. My VMware idea failed... Running a vmware os from a usb 2.0 hard drive = dialup os bootup/run times. So I guess I now am going to open the mybook and use the 500GB drive as extra storage. I am pretty sure it is a SATA drive.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch. Time to get a second computer I guess.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does your machine use USB 1.1 ports?

I run a load of VMs off a rinky-dink 5400RPM WD Passport. The performance isn't great, but they're all usable, and I can boot the entire team (six VMs) in 10 minutes. It seems like you have a serious bottleneck somewhere.

I thought the VM idea was a great solution icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    I am thinking it must be the lame "Green friendly" drive in the my book. I took it apart and hooked it directly to my motherboard via SATA and it was still very slow. I could hear it spinning, caching etc. Seems like a crappy built drive. It was only $99 so for storage its a great price.

I am going to see if my brother has like a 160GB sata drive thats 7200rpm and see if it is infact the drive and not the usb 2.0 bottleneck.

USB 2.0 supports like 12mb per second right? I would have assumed it would have been more than enough as well, thats why I was so shocked.

I was looking for internal 320gb drives for under $80 in town but havent been able to find any. Unfortunantly all we have here is a BestBuy, and I kind of need the solution yesterday.

Maybe someone from craigslist locally wants Office 2007 Professional unopened in trade for a drive.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    USB 2.0 supports like 12mb per second right? I would have assumed it would have been more than enough as well, thats why I was so shocked.

It's in the neighborhood of 450 mb/s.
  • Options
    So their you go. It's defiantly the drive thats the cause. I wonder if I could just return it and say the drive was crap/slow.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#USB_signaling

USB 1.1 is 12mbps, which is why I asked.

USB 2.0 is 480mbps (I'll admit, I thought it was 320 for some reason icon_redface.gif)

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible, so it does support slower speeds as well.

This is the one I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136229 (well, mine's an old 80gb, which it looks like they don't make anymore)

How big of an issue is this? Why don't you just next-day something from New Egg? It'll probably cost less than it would for you to take an hour or two to go get something, not to mention the time you've already spent with this.
  • Options
    It's a big personal issue. Haha! I am working on a Big VOIP project, so the other tree that I work in that I will be needing that vmware box for is on hold. But its defiantly a must in order to start my next project.

I am going to load another image on the drive to make sure that during the converting process the image didn't become curupted and cause the box to react super slow. I have tried the image on two seperate physical boxes and get the same response. So its either the drive or the image at this point.