Options

Job Advice

M@rv1nM@rv1n Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a DoD contractor, I work in the Northern Virginia area, I took a Job in May of this year knowing the contract was due to end on Sept 30. The company who I am with said for me to finish out the contract then they will move me on to another one overseas where I wanted to be origianlly. The contract was only sopose to be a 1 Man shop, the guy was sopose to be responsible for everything, help desk, network admin, system admin, C&A engineer, you name it he was sopose to do it. The guy they hired is help desk at best. So they created the position I am in now. I have taken over everything, and I have the other guy tracing cables and labling them. My spot was sopose to end in September and the company would send me to Germany to work. I was informed last week by the Military bosses and contract leads that they do not want me leaving, and will do what they must to keep me, even if it means firing the other guy so they can pay me well to stay.

My question is how do i communicate this to them that i really dont want to stay? I dont do enough hands on to keep my skills sharp, I feel like im getting dumb doing this job. Also how do i tell them my company do not give out 6 month raises. They would have to increse my pay about 20k a year to keep me here and somewhat happy. Also my company is cheap.

Any advice would be greatly appirciated.
Working on the CCSP... Help

Comments

• Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a DoD contractor, I work in the Northern Virginia area, I took a Job in May of this year knowing the contract was due to end on Sept 30. The company who I am with said for me to finish out the contract then they will move me on to another one overseas where I wanted to be originally. The contract was only suppose to be a 1 Man shop, the guy was suppose to be responsible for everything, help desk, network admin, system admin, C&A engineer, you name it he was suppose to do it. The guy they hired is help desk at best. So they created the position I am in now. I have taken over everything, and I have the other guy tracing cables and labeling them. My spot was suppose to end in September and the company would send me to Germany to work. I was informed last week by the Military bosses and contract leads that they do not want me leaving, and will do what they must to keep me, even if it means firing the other guy so they can pay me well to stay.

My question is how do i communicate this to them that i really don't want to stay? I don't do enough hands on to keep my skills sharp, I feel like I'm getting dumb doing this job. Also how do i tell them my company do not give out 6 month raises. They would have to increase my pay about 20k a year to keep me here and somewhat happy. Also my company is cheap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I, myself, am a DoD contractor. Well, currently, I'm a student finishing my degree, but I have worked as a DoD contractor and plan to go back into that line of work after I finish my degree. The sad thing about contracts is that if you don't have things on paper, then they really don't mean much unless the program/project manager is a person of their word. Obviously, they are really hurting for someone to fill that position. I would tell the people in charge, that while I enjoy working with this company here in N. VA, I was told that I could be moved to Germany after this contract finished in September. Also, you have a statement of work and that paper probably says that you're working from May until September 30. They can't require you to work after that date unless they have you sign a new contract. I think it would probably be best to just tell them that you were looking forward to going to Germany to work and you don't want to stay in this position because you want to take on a higher responsibility position / want to advance and move up within the company and you feel it is hindering your growth.

I don't know how much of help that'll be, but that's how I would tell them. Then again, if they still don't care, then you've only got one of two choices. One.. stay and work there until they're willing to move you.. or two.. quit. I'd hate to say contact Human Resources and explain your situation.. but I guess that is another option. I don't know how much it would help though.

Hope everything works out for you! Good luck!
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING