Options

Considering CCENT/CCNA Bootcamp

2»

Comments

• Options
    ats314ats314 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i've considered everyone's advise and decided to start out with a+ and network+ training material. Once I'm able to get past network+ I'll move on to CWNA. From there Either CCNA:Wireless or CWSP, depending on how far along Cisco is with their wireless certs. Then CWNE and possibly whatever Cisco is offering. Along the way I'm going to try and pick up some linux training, starting with Linux+ and then possibly RHCE. I've also been considering trying to get a MCDST, only because it seems required for a lot of jobs, but that is bottom of the list on training. Oh yeah, I also want to try and get a security+ in there, as I'm going to need a lot of security training. My plan is to do entirely self study with kits and such and try and get an entry level it job for training. I'll only attempt the boot camps if I can't past the tests or don't feel comfortable with the knowledge. All in all, I think its a good 4-6 year goal. Thanks for all the invaluable information.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    ats314 wrote:
    I'll only attempt the boot camps if I can't past the tests or don't feel comfortable with the knowledge. All in all, I think its a good 4-6 year goal. Thanks for all the invaluable information.
    I think the bootcamps would be a great idea for your higher level wireless training
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    ats314ats314 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ats314 wrote:
    I'll only attempt the boot camps if I can't past the tests or don't feel comfortable with the knowledge. All in all, I think its a good 4-6 year goal. Thanks for all the invaluable information.
    I think the bootcamps would be a great idea for your higher level wireless training

hopefully by then I can get someone to pay for them.
  • Options
    rondan1955rondan1955 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just returned from the Training Camp CCENT/CCNA course in Bushkill PA. It's a five day course that teaches to the exam. The instructors will tell you what material to focus on and what material probably won't be covered heavily on the exam. Monday and Tuesday was instruction for ICND1 exam. Wednesday was review for ICND1 exam. Wednesday evening was the ICND1 exam. The entire class passed the ICND1 exam. By the way, the price of the course (approx $3500) comes with 2 exam vouchers, hotel accomadations, and morning and noon meals. Thursday was instruction for ICND2. Friday was review for ICND2. Friday evening was the ICND2 exam (note: we had the option of waiting till Saturday morning to take the exam if we felt we weren't ready). Everyone took the exam Friday night. In a class of 12 students, 7 passed and 5 failed. I was one who failed. I felt my biggest problem was fatigue. The instructor stayed in the classroom from 9:00 am till 7:00 pm all five days, but students usually stayed in the lab till midnight or later studying and preparing to take the exam.
    On a scale of 1-10, how would I rate the Training Camp? Maybe 7.5. The instructor was good. Very knowledgable and helpful. The problem is, there is way too much material to cover in 5 days. I'm glad I did it though, because while the material is still fresh in my mind, I want to take the exam again. The Training Camp allows you to go back for free for up to one year to retake the course. However, it does not include exam vouchers, hotel accomadations, or meals.

I hope this post helped. I figured I'd give you a perspective of someone who's been there.
    Education may be expensive, but it's still a lot cheaper than ignorance.
  • Options
    edit your post and remove the parts that describe actual questions on the exam as this is against cisco exam policy

trying to cram the ccna in 5 days would make my brain explode, did you have any cisco experience/ccna study before going into the bootcamp?
  • Options
    rondan1955rondan1955 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for reminding me about cisco's exam question policy.
    My background in CCNA is that I teach networking to high school students and I completed the Cisco Net Academy instructor course. I know what you're thinking, "I should have passed the exam with flying colors!" And I would agree with you. The problem is that the exam is tough. Even someone with an extended background in networking could struggle with this exam. That's why passing it is so important to me. I'm scheduled to take the exam again on wednesday. Wish me luck.
    Education may be expensive, but it's still a lot cheaper than ignorance.
  • Options
    There's no doubt about it the exam is tough! I was sweating the whole time I took it, I really don't think many people can pass without some serious study time before even if they deal with some of the material on a day to day basis.

You should have no problem then reviewing the material and going back in and nailing it, I don't think I could pass any exam after 5 long days like that my brain wouldn't function at that point.

good luck when you retake it and let us know how you did!
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    I did a 5 day bootcamp as well, but we took the exam about 3 weeks after the course was over. I don't think I would've been ready right after the camp, but I was juggling working and doing the course, so that really would've been a HUGE ask. I like the idea of getting time off to really sit down, REST, analyse and study what you've learnt, and THEN do the exam.