Dell Poweredge 2650 - My new toy is not working

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am unable to see any display on this server, but no beep at all and everything is green lit in the front panel and in the mobo, any idea what might be causing this? can you guys help me reset the BIOS.

I plugged the monitor into the VGA in the back and in the front, still the same. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Comments

• whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    jbaello wrote:
    I am unable to see any display on this server, but no beep at all and everything is green lit in the front panel and in the mobo, any idea what might be causing this? can you guys help me reset the BIOS.

I plugged the monitor into the VGA in the back and in the front, still the same.

Okay I want to say it I have to say it.

Plug the monitor in or turn the monitor on!;)

Seriously, maybe the refresh rate on the monitor can't handle the VGA card. So try a different monitor and if you have one a different video card.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hehe I tried my 2nd monitor already, I would assume that it will give me display on POST, the LCD screen infront of it. doesn't display any error that would indicate problem with the video card. I will read the manual tomorrow, and see if I can reset the CMOS.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah, it should at least give you a display on POST. Does your numlock key/light on your keyboard work?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do all the fans, disks, and other stuff start spinning that would occur when the server is powered on?

Here's how to reset the BIOS. Do this only as a last resort.

F2 into the BIOS. Light up all three keyboard LEDs (caps lock, Scroll lock, num lock) and then hit:

Alt-E (erase settings)
    Alt-F (restore Factory settings)
    Alt-B (Save and reboot)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote:
    Do all the fans, disks, and other stuff start spinning that would occur when the server is powered on?

Here's how to reset the BIOS. Do this only as a last resort.

F2 into the BIOS. Light up all three keyboard LEDs (caps lock, Scroll lock, num lock) and then hit:

Alt-E (erase settings)
    Alt-F (restore Factory settings)
    Alt-B (Save and reboot)

Actually yes, at 1st when I power the server, fans blows like a jet, then it slows down. By the look of it, everything is running normally on the server, fans, disk and every light is green, no beeps that would indicate error, and the front LCD looks like it thinks everything is running normally, I already tried to change the VGA cable and monitor, I still need to check the KB caps lock etc. I will try to call Dell and see if there is a support for this.
    Strange - seems like a video problem after all then? I'm not sure if a PE2650 will take a PCI video card or not, but it might be worth a try.
    nl wrote:
    Strange - seems like a video problem after all then? I'm not sure if a PE2650 will take a PCI video card or not, but it might be worth a try.

What is the slot called? PCI 64? I only got PCI Express cards...
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you try reseating the video card? I've had this happen numerous times where the video isn't properly inserted or got pushed out of the slot.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Did you try reseating the video card? I've had this happen numerous times where the video isn't properly inserted or got pushed out of the slot.
    It has an integrated ATI graphics chip.
    This is a server the video card is integrated in the mobo, and the only slots available are PCI-X not sure if it's 32 or 64, but anyway I remember having a video card on a PCI-X, I will try tonite.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    This is a server the video card is integrated in the mobo, and the only slots available are PCI-X not sure if it's 32 or 64, but anyway I remember having a video card on a PCI-X, I will try tonite.

PCI-X is the old standard PCI if im not mistaken. PCIe is the newer express form factor.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    I think PCI-X 32/64 bit is what server uses, and PCIe is only for desktop computers, I need to clarify this.
    Yeah -- i was just curious if maybe it had a slot available for a boring old video card. I'm not opening up my 2650 at the moment to check :)

Most of our new dell servers have 1 or 2 4x or 16x PCI-E for fibre channel/network cards, some of our older ones have 32 and 64 bit PCI.
    The 2650 is pretty old. We have a bunch of them and they're all well past the 5 years of warranty support that Dell is willing to extend. I doubt you'll find that it is supported by anyone.

The PCI... It's going to be PCI-X for sure. I don't think you're going to get a second video card to work though, it's not supported and I don't think there's an option in the BIOS to use a different card. I know there isn't in the 2850 and newer servers.

When you power up the server and leave it alone, is there any evidence that OS has loaded and it appears on the network?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I just recently snagged this server of Ebay for 90 $, it comes with x2 SCSI controller and a fiber optic network card :P but as soon I plugged it bam, no input on the monitor.

I will be testing it tonite, and kinda get a feel on the keyboard itself, if I was running a DHCP server at home (which I'm not) I will be able to find out right away, but atm I am just running a dinky wink linksys which also serves as my DHCP service.
    jbaello wrote:
    I just recently snagged this server of Ebay for 90 $, it comes with x2 SCSI controller and a fiber optic network card :P but as soon I plugged it bam, no input on the monitor.
    Hmmmm.... I hope you didn't leave them positive Ebay feedback....

Did you pull the cover off and verify everything is connected properly? Have you tried removing anything that isn't required to POST (any controllers, take out some memory, remove the disks, etc and try to boot?

Also have you tried support.dell.com, you can find the manuals there and there's also a forum that's pretty well populated.
    IT guy since 12/00

blargoe wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    Hmmmm.... I hope you didn't leave them positive Ebay feedback....

Did you pull the cover off and verify everything is connected properly? Have you tried removing anything that isn't required to POST (any controllers, take out some memory, remove the disks, etc and try to boot?

Also have you tried support.dell.com, you can find the manuals there and there's also a forum that's pretty well populated.

I tried everything, I do have a manual from Dell, last thing I want to do is cherry pick forums when I cannot find it on google :P

I haven't left a positive feedback yet, like the wiseman says, test it first :P
    Keyboard, numlock/capslock/scroll lock doesn't work.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    jbaello wrote:

I will be testing it tonite, and kinda get a feel on the keyboard itself, if I was running a DHCP server at home (which I'm not) I will be able to find out right away, but atm I am just running a dinky wink linksys which also serves as my DHCP service.

From within the linksys you can see any hosts pulling an IP. You can also ping sweep your network (nmap or angryip scanner) and anything not blocking pings will show up. Good luck...ebay has lots of cool stuff but occasionally you get burned.
    jbaello wrote:

From within the linksys you can see any hosts pulling an IP. You can also ping sweep your network (nmap or angryip scanner) and anything not blocking pings will show up. Good luck...ebay has lots of cool stuff but occasionally you get burned.

I'm in queue with Dell, let me try and check linksys what hosts pull an IP. It's too bad it looks a decent machine, not to mention the two SCSI controller and fibre optic network card, I wonder if this was used as a SAN device.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    jbaello wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

I'm in queue with Dell, let me try and check linksys what hosts pull an IP. It's too bad it looks a decent machine, not to mention the two SCSI controller and fibre optic network card, I wonder if this was used as a SAN device.

Just out of curiousity do you have the cover on? I know that there is a sensor that will play foul if not on when booting....
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had something similar with a 2600 shipped from one of our old offices. One of the CPU pins was bent - since I tend to mainly get old equipment to insatll my security 'toys' I wasn't going to let it go without taking the thing apart ;). Anyway the heatsink is very tall and it can put a lot of pressure on the CPU if it got a jolt during shipping. Luckily on mine I was able to VERY GENTLY push the pin back into place. It's worth checking anyway.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    I kinda digged around this server, removed every components and put it all back on, IP/Host sweep did not detect this machine. Perhaps I should try to remove the CPU and every other components, then put them all back together, a miracle might happen.

I was actually impressed with this server, but still does not compare to a HP Proliant hardware design.

I'm pretty bummed, hopefully the guy has another one, it's not easy winning something with this kind of price.
    Here's the service tag: GLSJR21... If you can drool I mean recommend anything that can fix it icon_lol.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    Here's the service tag: GLSJR21... If you can drool I mean recommend anything that can fix it icon_lol.gif

maybe thats why it's not working :P
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    lol you shorted it :P
  • indyguyindyguy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you can try hard resetting the motherboard using the jumpers.... and u also need to have the kybd mouse connected to the same panel where u have to monitor connected either the front or the back ... http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2650/en/index.htm
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Heh I got 3 2550 servers for my lab setup. Never had a problem except 1 has a bad CD-ROM drive. Ah well replaced it for $15. As for video, never had that problem. All servers are stock.
  • MyNameIsPeteMyNameIsPete Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Google lead me here in search for a solution to the exact same issue with a PE2650.

Just wondering if this issue was resolved and any possible solutions.

Cheers,
    Pete
  • mattwhmattwh Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same problem. It was the VRM for the second processor was missing. Yank the processor out and all is well.