Options

What Ciscokit is best of these two?

CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Plan to order my ciscokit this year for CCNA and according to Todd Lammle's CCENT book he recommend the following for the labs:

At least one router (two would be better) and then some of these series:

2500, 2600, 800, 1800, 2800.

I've been looking at the following KITS and what do you think?

1. Cisco Dual 2610 Router 32/8 CCNA Kit IOS 12.3.24 IOS (http://www.ciscokits.com/dual-cisco-2610-router/).

2. Dual 2520 16/16 Router & Dual 1924 Switch CCNA Kit (http://www.ciscokits.com/cisco-dual-2501-dual-1900-switch-ccna-kit/).

Also to mention is that I probably go for CCNP after CCNA so it would be good if the equipment could be used for that as well. I'm a 100% rookie when it comes to Cisco so I might have picked the wrong kits?

I can't afford more than $250 (shipping for me is $120 + 25% import tax...huuuuuu icon_rolleyes.gif )

THANKS for your suggestion etc :)

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    19xx switches are useless for learning. Get a 2950 at least.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be careful of the 2924s as well. You need 2950/2960s, as tiersten stated.

If money is an issue for you, you'd do better to piece together your own lab on ebay or somewhere else. Most people will ship internationally if you're willing to pay the shipping. Just ask!

Most bang for your buck for routers would probably be a 2520 for frame relay and some 2501s.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Honestly ciscokits.com needs to update their gear, they are selling over priced paper weights any more. Like others have said piece together a lab on ebay will be the most cost effective way to build a lab, also if you have access to IOS check out dynamips.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I don't remember at the moment if SDM will run on 32/8 2610's, but that should be another consideration, as it is part (albeit a small part) of CCNA and I would assume CCNP.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shednik wrote:
    Honestly ciscokits.com needs to update their gear, they are selling over priced paper weights any more. Like others have said piece together a lab on ebay will be the most cost effective way to build a lab, also if you have access to IOS check out dynamips.

bingo! Your wasting a lot of money you could be spending on extra equipment by using ciscokits. Ebay is the best way to go IMO. And they're still selling 1900's, cripes!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nl wrote:
    I don't remember at the moment if SDM will run on 32/8 2610's
    There's a link in the CCNA FAQ to an SDM doc that lists the supported routers -- the 2691 is the only non-XM 2600 supported....

I'd say check out a 1721 also -- that would give you 802.1q encapsulation (with a supported IOS) to do router-on-a-stick and SDM.

When you shop for 2500 routers, remember that you'll need Ethernet Transceivers (stick with the Ethernet models and get the 16/16 Max Memory). With 2600's you have the added costs of WIC or NM cards to add functionality -- but you do have the built in Ethernet to start with.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    THANKS ALL for the info :D

I checked E-bay UK and found a seller in England with like 99,7% positive feedback for the past few years. Prices were a lot lower than Ciscokits and since England is in the European Union there's no import tax for me and about 75% less shipping cost than buying from the States.

So E-bay is my next stop :)
  • Options
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    It irp?

Yes, irp70.....any suggestion or so?
  • Options
    Cosmocat wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    It irp?

Yeah. He's okay. I've bought a few things off him and its all arrived with no problems. I did email him back to ask if he had any stock of the console servers but he never replied *shrug*

He's still not the cheapest though since you're paying for the convienence of it all turning up in one huge box. If you can be bothered to trawl through eBay for a few weeks then you'll probably get it a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Cosmocat wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    It irp?

Yeah. He's okay. I've bought a few things off him and its all arrived with no problems. I did email him back to ask if he had any stock of the console servers but he never replied *shrug*

He's still not the cheapest though since you're paying for the convienence of it all turning up in one huge box. If you can be bothered to trawl through eBay for a few weeks then you'll probably get it a bit cheaper.

Thanks and I'll be sure to look around for a while before I make up my mind. It's not a hurry for me so some bidding that I don't win won't really matter icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    And they're still selling 1900's, cripes!

Look at the bright side, it could be two tin cans connected by a string! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif might as well be. What was that I didn't hear you, tighten up your string!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Operating at layer 1.5?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

cisahovekacisahoveka Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All it has been a while since i've logged on here
    I've been busy preparing for my ccna exam first attempt since i've finished with my mcse2003/mscts/mcitp etc....

i am a newbe to cisco world but very much interested in a cisco career.
    this is what my home cisco lab looks like.

2 cisco 2811 routers
    4 cisco 1841 routers
    1 cisco 2960 24port switch.

i hope this is enough to get me the fundamentals i need to get up to speed.
    A+,N+,MCP
    MCSA2003:Messaging and Security MCSE2003:Messaging and Security
    MCTS:vista 70-620
    MCTS:vista 70-622
    MCTS:Windows server 2008 AD 70-640
    MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-642
    MCTS:Windows server 2008 NI 70-643
    MCTS:Exchange Server 2007:70-236
    MCTS:SQL Server 2005:70-431
    MCTS:SQL Server 2005:70-443
    MCTS:SQL Server 2005:70-444
    MCITP:Enterprice Messaging Administrator MCITP:Enterprice Administrator
    MCITP:Enterprice Technician
    MCITP:SQL2005 DBA.)
  • Options
    I looked around a bit on E-BAY and what do you think about this kit for starter CCNA and beginners CCNP? I strongly think of buying it even though it's a bit more than I can afford ...my girlfriend must give up her clothes shopping this month an sponsor me icon_wink.gif

The kit is designed for CCNA+ beginners CCNP and all is included + extra cd's with labs etc (great compliment to your books). I know I could pick up all the parts (cables, routers etc) for a little bit less but it feels great to have all you need arriving in the same box - Kind of time saver on a busy schedule!

All this below for £199 (about $39icon_cool.gif.

Max memory on all routers + all accessories included.

Routers

Cisco 2610 Ethernet Serial Router 16F/64D Advanced Security 12.4 IOS
    Cisco 2501 Ethernet Dual Serial Router 16F/16D IP Plus 12.3 IOS
    Cisco 2501 Ethernet Dual Serial Router 16F/16D IP Plus 12.3 IOS

Switches

Cisco 2900-XL Switch running Latest Enterprise IOS

Accessories

2 x serial DB60-DB60 crossover cables
    3 x cat 5E straight-through cables
    3 x cat 5E crossover cables
    1 x RJ45 / DB9 console cables

Additional

Thoroughly tested before shipping
    Power cables for all devices
    Two cd-roms for CCNA CCNP CCIE CCSP CCDP etc
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cosmocat wrote:
    Switches

A Couple 2924-XL-EN switches, along with a 2950 would be good for the CCNA.

But there are a lot of even older 2900 models that are mostly useless -- their 4 MB flash limits the functionality of their LAST enterprise IOS version.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it also depends if you are planning to go past the CCNA.

I say grab a couple of 2950's and use dynamips for the routing stuff.