DNS question...

bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have this Transcender sim.

One of the objectives is:

DC2.surfside.com must be able to keep the information on sales.surfside.com current

The solution transcender explains is that I need to go onto DC2 and add a New Zone >> Stub Zone.

Is this correct? Does me creating the stub zone on DC2 mean that when surfside.com's NS are changed that sales.surfside.com is then updated? I always thought that creating the stub on DC2 would mean that whenever sales.surfside.com NS records changed, DC2.surfside.com would be updated cause it's the parent domain.

Does this make sense?

ME == NOT a DNS guru. I live in a posh world of all primary and secondary AD integrated zones.
Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's really got nothing to do with the parent/child relationship (unlike delegations!). You can create a stub zone in one child domain at the bottom of a tree to another child domain at the bottom of a tree. It automatically updates that zone whenever changes are detected, like you thought. However, that seems to be what the question is asking, so I'm not sure where you're confused.

Pro tip: != is how you would say "not equal" ;)
  • bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    It's really got nothing to do with the parent/child relationship (unlike delegations!). You can create a stub zone in one child domain at the bottom of a tree to another child domain at the bottom of a tree. It automatically updates that zone whenever changes are detected, like you thought. However, that seems to be what the question is asking, so I'm not sure where you're confused.

Pro tip: != is how you would say "not equal" ;)

Here's what I'm asking.

I create a stub zone on server DC2 and point it to a DNS server on another domain, sales.ms.net for example.

Which of my DNS gets updated when there are changes in NS records. Does sales.ms.net update DC2 when a change is made on sales.ms.net

OR

Does DC2 update sales.ms.net when a change is made in the DC2 domain

The Transcender solution leads me to beleive that if I create the stub zone on DC2 it will keep sales.ms.net updated, and I am not sure about that. I would imagine that if you needed to keep sales.ms.net up to date then you would have to create the stub zone on sales.ms.net and point it to DC2.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read this on stub zones.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/DNS_Stub_Zones.html

Very nice explaination on everything.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    A stub zone is essentially a scaled down Secondary Zone. If you are creating a stub of sales.ms.net in DC2.surfside.com the the stub would be updated the NS records whenever they change in the sales.ms.net domain so that any queries for sales.ms.net from within the DC2.surfside.com know where to go for resolution

I hope this explains it
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
    dave0212 wrote:
    A stub zone is essentially a scaled down Secondary Zone. If you are creating a stub of sales.ms.net in DC2.surfside.com the the stub would be updated the NS records whenever they change in the sales.ms.net domain so that any queries for sales.ms.net from within the DC2.surfside.com know where to go for resolution

I hope this explains it

That's exactly the way I thought it worked :D

I got confused though because my Transcender said that the goal is to keep sales.ms.net updated and to do that I must create a stub zone on DC2.surfside.com. But, that is false. By doing this I am keeping DC2.surfside.com updated of changes that occur in sales.ms.net
    Mishra wrote:
    Read this on stub zones.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/DNS_Stub_Zones.html

Very nice explaination on everything.

Hey thanks, that was a very helpful article. It still makes it difficult to know when a question wants a stub zone or a full blown secondary zone as the answer. Are there usually dead givaways, like, "you need to conserve bandwidth." What are the dead giveaways that the question wants a secondary zone?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Look for hints like you mentioned such as bandwidth conservation and slow links and concerns about replication traffic. If you don't see those types of things then more likely they're looking for a secondary zone. It is still a case by case basis though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    DC2.surfside.com must be able to keep the information on sales.surfside.com current

Basically what it means is that by creating a stub zone for sales.surfside.com on DC2 will mean DC2 will contain all relevant details about all Authouritive Servers for sales.surfside.com.

The stubzone contains the SOA, NS and A records for sales.surfside.com and updates itself according to the SOA RR to keep these current.

I think the best description of a Stub Zone is a 'Dynamic Forwarder' for a child / secondary domain.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools