Options

Review of Train Signal's VMWare training

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice review. I was really confused until I realized you were reviewing his Workstation/Server CBT, not the ESX CBT that I have...

The other nice thing about the WMVs is that you can adjust the play speed. I always listen to mine at 1.4-2.0x, depending on the speaker.

Unfortunately, it looks like their new CBTs are Flash .exes, which sucks. They include an iPod version as well, but the quality is so low that the text is unreadable. My ESX CBT wasn't like that, but the new Server 2008 overview was.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    The other nice thing about the WMVs is that you can adjust the play speed. I always listen to mine at 1.4-2.0x, depending on the speaker.
    I haven't tried that, but I'm reviewing TS' CCNA training videos next, so I'll try faster playing speeds.
    dynamik wrote:
    Unfortunately, it looks like their new CBTs are Flash .exes, which sucks. They include an iPod version as well, but the quality is so low that the text is unreadable. My ESX CBT wasn't like that, but the new Server 2008 overview was.
    Yeah, compiled Flash doesn't need Flash installed, but it still won't run on many portable platforms, and certainly not on anything Apple or Linux. Train Signal really needs to think more cross-platform and globally when considering its target customers. No time like the present to start.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gradually work your way up with the play speed; you'll become acclimated to it quickly. Going back to 1x after that makes it sound almost like it's in slow motion.

I think you'll like the CCNA videos. I don't mean any offense towards Chris, but his calm, serious demeanor in all the pictures I've seen of him doesn't make him look like an entertaining CBT/classroom instructor. I was pleasantly surprised at his ability to keep me attention and make the lectures interesting.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    JDMurray wrote:
    I haven't tried that, but I'm reviewing TS' CCNA training videos next, so I'll try faster playing speeds.

You should enjoy this series Chris Bryant's older set was great and I'm sure his new ones are as well.